Gradients

There are several tutorials on the subject. The easiest method I believe is the one suggested by Rick:

Make a new layer, zoom in (very closely, you'll need to see the pixels), and use the pencil tool to make your starting and ending colors (make them right next to each other). Then drag the Rectangular selection tool around just those two pixels. Then switch to the Move Selected Pixels tool and drag the nubs around until the gradient looks about right!

You may have to mess around with the size and color to get just what you want. Also, if you want a three / four / multiple stage gradient, you can adjust this method to as many pixels as you need.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

You're not making any sense, man. What pencils are you talking about?

You use the pencil to make your starting and ending color. The pencil works best because it paints one solid pixel at a time.

~ Becoming the Archetype

what starting & ending color?

can you show me an example?

The starting and ending colors of the gradient. Like if you want a gradient that goes from black to green, you would make one pixel black and one green (the starting and ending colors). Then, you would select the two pixels (and only the two pixels). Then, you would resize the selected pixels, and when you do so, Paint.Net will automatically blend the two colors for you.

Gradientminitut.png

Like up there:

In the box, that's zoomed in to somthing to the order of 1300%. That's what I mean with the pencil: it makes solid pixels, without anti-aliasing overflow. The top color is the starting color, and the bottom color is the ending color. Use the pencil to make them side-by-side, then draw a selection around just those two pixels. Then you can drag it out to whatever size you need.

~ Becoming the Archetype