Sign in to follow this  
romein

Multi Color Gradient v3.0 (May 17, 2018)

On 9/9/2017 at 6:31 AM, bismuth said:

unfortunately the ctrl + f solution doesn't work if you're trying to make a transparent gradient, the duplicates will just overlap. shame that a pretty useful plugin from nearly 10 years ago doesn't work as intended anymore, i wonder what broke it?

Try to do the ctrl + f on a layer then when it is full change the layer's transparency.    

image.png.62d785e2b5e8b4054daba8938f8f020c.pngimage.png.e794d851969136e3ad5d2efcaf25829c.pngimage.png.beb6a0cd35bde25a2ce326e8d5e4a2a5.png

Edited by Kisco

Hi @Atlas can you see it in your Effects Folder in Paint.net? 

Did you - Unzip the File and then add the .dll to the Effects Folder like this:  OS (C:) – Program Files – Paint.net - Effects

This is what it should look like:  multi-grad.png

I just tried this as I've been interested in using multicolour gradients in the past.

It actually installs now in the Effects main menu;_

2103534765_PDN-MultiColorGradient....thumb.png.eca8c85e063e75abc68e340bb07c086f.png

I'd ask Atlas if he downloaded the plugin from the primary link at the start of the thread? There's another link later, on page two, which downloads something else. It certainly isn't a plugin and if that is what he installed then it is no wonder it isn't working.

I could have sworn there was a problem with the Multi-Color Gradient plugin when I tried it some time ago (can't find the post). Whatever was wrong it does now seem to work OK as far as I have tested it.

However those old problems lead me to read about a simple technique for creating multi-colour gradients without any plugin necessary. Just using the Pencil tool create a coloured block made up from one pixel of each colour you want to use. Have zoom view set at maximum unless you have very good eyesight. :)

All you do then is Select just that coloured pixel block and massively resize it up eg. to 480x480 and, magically, you'll get a pretty good multi-coloured gradient effect.

Edited by IHaveNoName
  • Like 1

So, I just removed the Plugin and re-loaded and also find that it now does appear in the Effects Drop-down.  I have edited the 1st page and made clearer the download for the Plugin.  Many thanks @IHaveNoName for pointing this out 🧐

@IHaveNoName

I also had problems for a while with the Multi-Color Gradient plugin. It worked fine in earlier version of Paint.NET but not so well around the time of version 4+. It would only render half an image and crash. After version 4.1.4 it started working again. I can't say if it was the fixes in that version or the updated drivers for my AMD Radeon 8400 GPU.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, that description of the problem early PDN v4 versions had rings a bell.

I think it must have been a later PDN update that fixed it because, in this case, I'm using the same Intel on board HD 4600 graphics I was using back then and AFAIK the drivers have not been updated since.