Request - Tiff Default Editor

In a future version of Paint is it possible to include during the installation process an option to make the default image editor of .tiff file types as it does this for similar types like .jpg

If you have any comments or questions on the matter please feel free to reply. This would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff

Signatureb.jpg

If you right click on a TIFF file, hit "Open With..." > "Other Program...", and then click on PdN, "Always use this program for files of this type."

Rick doesn't want PdN to hijack established Windows protocol in that regard.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Thank you very much for your reply David to the topic.

David, however true that may be, this means every time i open up a .tiff it loads PdN. All i want is when you open up a .tiff in Windows Picture and fax Viewer (default program) and click on "Close this program and open this image for editing" (second icon from right on bottom) it will load in PdN not regular paint. This occurs for every other file type the PdN is associated with as the default imaged editor.

Unfortunately this has not yet been implemented yet like it is an option the other main file types.

Geoff

Signatureb.jpg

Use regedit

Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tiff\OpenWithProgids and add a REG_SZ value (string) named "Paint.NET.1" with an empty value.

Or better yet, first go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\OpenWithProgids and note what the Paint.NET entry is called (maybe it's not always Paint.NET.1) and then make .tiff look the same

untested but could work

I would write plugins, if I knew what kind of plugins were needed.. :(

You can modify the program used for each action (i.e. the "Open" and "Edit" options) in the control panel somewhere. But I'm not entirely positive where that somewhere is. :-) I'm at work right now. Unless someone else answers before I do, I'll try to have a list of instructions as soon as I get home.

@Harold- I'm almost positive there's a way to do it without mucking with the registry.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

All right, In XP:

Start > Control Panel > Folder Options. Click on the File Types tab, and scroll down to .TIFF or .TIF. Click on it, then click on "Advanced." Choose the "edit" option in the "Actions" box, then click the "Edit..." button on the right side of the dialog. Hit Browse, find PaintDotNET.exe on your system, and hit okay until you're out of the dialogs.

See if that'll work. :-) Hope you don't have Vista.

This is very close David, however once PdN has opened it creates an error message stating "This image type is not recognised, and cannot be opened". Have you actually done this an know it works or is this still in the trialling process?

Geoff

Signatureb.jpg

I don't have any TIFF files, so I put the instructions together with the JPG filetype. It works fine. I'm sorry...I don't know what is wrong with it in your specific case.

If you have PdN open, you could just drag the TIFF file into the program...