Use a CMS for Paint.net plugins

I've been thinking... :shock: Maybe We (or rather Rick) should setup a CMS to manage all the plugins.

:arrow: If you have no idea what this is, see these examples:

Mozilla Addons

Miranda IM Addons

Winamp Plugins

Using such a system would allow us to do the following on the site:

-Plugin types (file type, blur, render, distort, color, ect.)

-Change logs

-achieved versions

-popular plugins list

-new plugins list

-updated plugins list

-ratings

-comments

-other plugins by this author

-and all that other stuff I've forgotten.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

It's on Rick's mind.

From the blog [here]

The big area I want to focus on in this release is the experience around plugins, for both the user and the developer. I will be creating a new, richer plug-in API (and adapters for old plugins, don’t worry!). The user interface will allow you to install these plugins right from within the application, and to enable / disable them individually without having to muck around in the file system. Users have also been crying out for a way to organize their effects into submenus, and I’m hoping to provide that as well. You’ll also be able to install a plugin just for yourself, or for all users on the system. Maybe I can also provide a way for plugins to be able to check for their own updates and to then invite the user to install them (like Firefox does).

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

• 2 years later...

Check out the OP's sig...

If you'd like to bring up an issue again, feel free to make a new thread. Things may have changed since the original thread was posted, and necroposting serves only to revive conversations that have long since lost their relevance.

To answer your question, to my knowledge, there has been no significant progress in the integrated distribution of plugins yet.

Thread Locked

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype