Resizing Image

(newbie question here). I am wondering if someone can help me with a resizing a picture question.

When I use the resize on Paint.net, it changes the scale of the ruler attached to the program so the picture appears the desired size, but when I open it in another program or my browser, it is no were near the what it should be (it is alway huge). Is there anyway to do a resize, that actually resizes the graphic to the desired size.

Jeff

No, I am using "image" and then "resize".

It is nuts.... it says the image is resized, but if you open it in even the old Microsoft Paint Program it is no where near the what it should be based on the resize parameters.

The only thing I see change is the ruler that is not to scale. The image is untouched.

Jeff

Even if it is, it should make no difference when reopened in another program or browser.

I will tell you what, let me send you a jpg file. Try to resize it to 9 inches wide by whatever the relative height is. Then save and reopen the saved file in a simple graphic program like Microsoft Paint. You will see that if you open it in Paint it will not open as the resized 9 inches wide by relative height... Why?

Thanks for your help. If you want to email me directly your email address so I can send you the sample jpg my email address is rogerson@vianet.ca or jeff@ospreylinksgolf.com

Cheers.

Jeff

Is this a Pixels Per Inch issue (Dots Per Inch is usually associated with printing while PPI is usually referring to screen resolution and how the vertical and horizontal plains are viewed)? The larger the PPI, the larger it appears in some programs. The same thing happened to me only a few days ago, I resized something with 250 PPI and the resulting image looked humongous compared to what it should be when I viewed it in another photo editor.

Good question. I am not familiar with pixels per inch but how do I check or alter the image size based on it? I guess it really gets confusing using that as a resizing definition, similar I have tried to resize the image by percent instead of an actual size. It results in resizing the image, but it is always a guess as to what percentage change will result in the size I am looking for.

Simplier if I could just input the size requested and the program returned an altered image in the size as requested. (I use to use a graphics program that came with my digital camera that was easier to use for resizing than paint.net).

Microsoft Paint has the same problem. If you want to resize an image, you have to resize it by a percentage, there is no way to resize based on an actual measurement (ie from 3 inches to 2 inches).

Jeff

Well, when resizing by percentage, as you incrementally move up or down or even specify your desired percentage directly, you'll notice that in the inactive 'By absolute size' area the dimensions change relative to the percentage entered, so you can keep tabs on your size that way.

As for PPI:

If you choose to modify the print size of an image, the pixel size will be based on the resolution, which defaults to 96 pixels per inch, which is the same as 37.8 pixels per centimeter. For example, if you specify the image to be 1 inch wide, and the resolution is 96 pixels/inch, then the image will be resized to be 96 pixels wide.

You can use this dialog to affect the print size of an image by adjusting just the resolution. Note that if you only modify the resolution of the image, the pixel size will remain the same and no resampling is performed.

If you don't know what PPI is and so didn't fiddle with the Resolution section of Resize, then I doubt this is the problem. However, I am not well versed with all the ins and outs of the concept of PPI, so perhaps someone else could intervene.