how to make one person in a photo stand out?

im not sure what its called so i cant find anything with the search button sorry...

i have some photos and i want to make one person a lot more prominent than the others, or doing it the other way i want to make everyone else less prominent :D

like on the telly when they show a group photo but the story is about the one person, they seem to make him/her a lot more obvious

Search for "Cutting images out the easy way"; follow it to cut the person out, then do a gaussian blur or turn the color down on everyone else. Does this help?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

hi, i found the tutorial but i think the tutorial is aimed more so at ppl who can already use paint but just dont know the process to do this, im a complete beginner and dont understand how to get the line to go round the image. i presume the "nubs" mentioned are the little dots that appear, at which point you can pull/push the line etc. what i dont know how to do is the get these nubs in the places i want them. they seem to just appear where they want :?

There is, however, no way to position them yourself as of yet. You're stuck with what is available. If need be, you can create smaller lines, joining then as you go along, as this may give you that extra bit of detail; you don't have to create massively long lines to reach every point in one go.

couldnt get it to work sorry.

i cannot post the picture as its of children (minors) and i dont have parental permission forms back yet. when i said to highlight one person i think i made it sound like i wanted to highlight their whole body, i am only really interested in highlighting head/face. cant i just make a cirlce around them and do some adjustments to the contrast etc of the rest of the picture?

please could someone talk me thru it?

couldnt get it to work sorry.

i cannot post the picture as its of children (minors) and i dont have parental permission forms back yet. when i said to highlight one person i think i made it sound like i wanted to highlight their whole body, i am only really interested in highlighting head/face. cant i just make a cirlce around them and do some adjustments to the contrast etc of the rest of the picture?

please could someone talk me thru it?

That makes things a whole lot easier. :-)

1. Open the image.

2. Using the ellipse selection tool, select the chosen child's face. Leave a little bit of room around it.

3. Ctrl+C to copy, then Ctrl+Shift+V to paste the child's face on a new layer.

4. Select the bottom layer again and use Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast to turn the brightness down.

5. Use the Feather Plugin (you can find it with http://searchpaint.net) to make it look smoother.

Try that. Does it help?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

im really sorry david but im doing exactly what you wrote and its not doing it. please can you write EVERY single step no matter how stupid or simple it may be.

I really can't make it any simpler, other than to give you screen shots (which I can't do until tonight, as I'm at work right now). That's literally every step. What are you having a problem with?

Alternatively, you could hit F1 in the program to bring up the help file. Use it to figure out how to do the things I've told you.

Sounds like you're doing well so far! Over on the bottom right, you should see the Layers window. Two layers should be there, one of them selected (highlighted blue). Just click on the one that isn't highlighted (the bottom one), and apply the brightness/contrast changes.

Does that work?

omg! what is wrong with me, that wont work either.

the problem is (i think) that regardless which layer i highlight the face inside the eclipse is the only thing changing.

tell me... once i have the 2 layers (one is original photo and other is the white/grey chess board effect with just her face on) and i choose the one not highlighted blue which you say is the bottom one (main photo) then should the girls face still have a matrix of points around her face in the main photo (layer 1)?

omg! what is wrong with me, that wont work either.

the problem is (i think) that regardless which layer i highlight the face inside the eclipse is the only thing changing.

tell me... once i have the 2 layers (one is original photo and other is the white/grey chess board effect with just her face on) and i choose the one not highlighted blue which you say is the bottom one (main photo) then should the girls face still have a matrix of points around her face in the main photo (layer 1)?

AH! I just realized I did forget a step! (And a pretty important one, too). My apologies! :-)

After you have the two layers, like you said, hit Ctrl+D to deselect that face. Select the bottom layer, perform the adjustments.

Sorry again!

LOL

i did say no matter how stupid or simple, ha ha ha

that worked a treat thanks david. i can cancel the home help i ordered to come and cut my food up and dress me now. i was beginning to feel a right retard, especially when you said you couldnt make it any easier :oops:

i did say no matter how stupid or simple, ha ha ha

that worked a treat thanks david.

I apologize profusely! I honestly didn't disregard it, I didn't think it was stupid or simple, I just completely forgot about it :-)

Glad it all worked out!

i can cancel the home help i ordered to come and cut my food up and dress me now.

Hehe...that's funny!

i was beginning to feel a right retard, especially when you said you couldnt make it any easier :oops:

I feel terrible! I'm so sorry!

Glad you got it figured out.

Here's hoping they're few and far between. :-) Just be sure to use search, use the help file, and we'll be happy to help you! Welcome to the forum.