Adding New Sky/Clouds

I'm new to Paint.net and am struggling.

I want to add a new sky to replace a washed out sky.

On the main image I have selected the poor sky with the Magic Wand. Then I have copied a new sky image and tried to paste into selected area but all I get is a small rectangle of the new sky which does not fill the selected area. Grateful for any advice ,tips or refs. ddd

Could you post a picture please, we can help you much better than without one.

Until then, you could try selecting the sky and using the Adjustments > Hue / Saturation and having a play around with the saturation as this might bring more colour to your sky. There are other methods but a picture would be helpful to determine which one.

I've made a sky look better before. The best thing isn't to replace it, but to recolor it. Myrddin's method of recoloring is probably the best; you'll just want to boost the blue a little bit. Not too much, though; if you do, it'll look fantasy-esque and unreal.

Also, if the picture was taken on a dreary day (rather than having just been a bad angle or something), you'll want to select everything but the sky and boost the saturation a little bit, as well as slightly boosting the red and yellow (more yellow). It'll make it look a lot nicer.

Post a pic, and I'll see if I can help you further.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

You can create an account on http://www.photobucket.com and upload it there. Then put the link on this thread.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.