Paint.Net Code Docs

Bob

• 5 weeks later...
Hi! Is there any documentation on the source code. What is what etc.

You're supposed to learn from the code itself. No spoonfeeding nubs!

Safe C# is inefficient… Optimize code… Hmm… These pointers and API calls are so confusing.

• 1 month later...

I saw that you answered before that "the code is the docs"... which is actually quite true. But if you were to comment at least the public API in the code you could then use NDoc to make some nice MSDN-style documentation that never goes out of date because you can generate it as a post-build event. At least that's what we do for some of our projects that require API docs. I'm sure you're already aware of that, but I thought I'd mention it since nobody had yet (at least that I saw). NDoc doesn't quite do all of .NET 2.0 yet though.

Paul

The problem with documentation of this kind is that it's immediately out of date. Adding new features or implementing new optimizations can radically change the code and design, at which point the documentation would have to be painstakingly poured over and/or rewritten.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

• 2 weeks later...
I saw that you answered before that "the code is the docs"... which is actually quite true. But if you were to comment at least the public API in the code you could then use NDoc to make some nice MSDN-style documentation that never goes out of date because you can generate it as a post-build event. At least that's what we do for some of our projects that require API docs. I'm sure you're already aware of that, but I thought I'd mention it since nobody had yet (at least that I saw). NDoc doesn't quite do all of .NET 2.0 yet though.

Paul

Every time you build it...assuming you've even made API changes, the docs auto update.