Lost Edit call with modal dialog open

Well, I'm sure this is somewhat of an intentional lock-out, but it was an unexpected thing when it happened.

With any program that hooks into the shell context menu and uses the default windows Open browser, I tend to open the Open dialog, browse around, forget I'm in the Open dialog, right-click on a file, and select the contextual launch command. I do this often with Notepad++, and I did it the other day with Paint.NET. I clicked Open, navigated to the folder, right-clicked an image, and selected Edit (Paint.NET is set as my default editor). The open window lost focus and passed it to the Paint.NET main window behind it, but the file was not opened. So I closed the dialog, thinking PDN may open the file once the modal dialog lock out was removed, but it was not so.

I also tested this with opening an effects dialog and clicking Edit for an image from the context menu in the actual Windows Explorer window. Focus was passed to Paint.NET, but the image was not opened.

Now, I understand why the canvas is locked while a modal dialog is open, and this is probably a rare occurrence that someone would even encounter this, but is it possible to allow file Open calls through when a Modal dialog is open, or would that cause all kinds of inter-application focus problems?

I tend to pick and choose files as I go through, selecting the ones I need and opening them independently. From an Explorer window, this is not a problem, but from the Open menu, it doesn't work as I had inherently thought.

Yes, I know one can simply hold [Ctrl] to select multiple files... <_<

Just a thought. Cheers!

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

This is by design. I disallow the creation of new canvases when any modal window is open. This prevents an enormous class of bugs from even being possible.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I figured it was a planned thing. Oh well, like I said, it can't be affecting many people, because I've never heard any complaints about it. I'll just have to remember where I am, eh?

Thanks. :)

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype