"Select shapes"

Hi Guys Is there any way to modify the basic "select" rectangle shape by pulling it to a different shape ie. different sides different lengths. If I use the lasso tool I cant get nice straight lines freehand. I want to make a "Popout" photo and have got stuck on spongey437's tutorial

Hi Boltbait. I have followed your instructions and after selecting with the magic wand in the drawn area, the whole layer is selected ie marching lines in both the drawn area and around the outside of the layer. (I can paint this whole area) but if I invert the selection and only have the area I want painted selected I can't paint anything

Check to be sure that the new layer is selected (in the layer docker window) when using the magic wand. The only thing I can think is that you somehow have a different layer selected so the magic wand selects the entire layer.

I'm kinda flying blind here... perhaps you could give us a screen shot.

Hi Boltbait I have sent a couple of e.mails with screenshots of my prob. I have just tried with only one layer, drew a shape on it. selected magic wand selected my shape and tried to paint but no avail. I inverted selection and painted the whole screen. So proves I am painting on only one layer

Hi Boltbait, I may have fixed my problem. When drawing I was too ecconomical when drawing my lines and made a 3 sided rectangle using the frame as the forth side. Also I discovered that because there was too much contrast in my picture I had to adjust the tolerance slider and make my drawing lines thick enough to allow the wand to see where the edge of my selected area was. Thanks for your help