need help on editing a picture

need help: i've learned how to superimpose one face onto another face but i have a question...........lets say i'v superimposed a different face onto another but i want to erase just some minor areas around the face......how do you do this? i clicked on the eraser but when you start erasing it leaves evidence that you erased..........

also, how do you use the lasso tool.........???? i had a picture taken of my son and all i wanted was to just use the outline of his face and nothing else....so i clicked on the lasso tool and outlined his face only..........what do i do now in order to just have the face??????????

maby i don't know how to ask my question correctly..........

i have picture A that i'm wanting to use for the background.............i want to take only the face area of picture B and then put it over the top of the face in picture A.............

sorry if i'm confusing........i'm new to this stuff............just not sure ......

Second, you superimpose the face on a new layer, then just erase the parts you don't want before you merge the layers.

i can superimpose the face on a new layer but i don't understand the erasing parts i won't need......if i use the eraser it will erase but at the same time it show my evidence of what i erased...........