problem opening a pic I edited

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've had an issue on a couple of occasions with a pic that I have edited, saved, closed and then tried to reopen. When the file closed, the thumb no longer appears in the folder and when I try to reopen the file I get this error:

There was an error reading the file from the media

does anyone know how I can fix this?

I know this can happen if an extension is specified in the filename box other than that appearing in the drop-down.

For instance, if you name a file picture1.jpg, but leave the Filetype drop-down set to PDN, the image will be encoded as a PDN, but saved with the improper .jpg extension. As such, you will not get a thumbnail or be able to open it, since the way the programs try to interact with it is based upon the extension, not the encoding behind the scenes.

If this is the case, you can manually change the extension to .pdn (if your image was layered when you saved it, .pdn is the default filetype) or .png (if your image was one layer when you saved it, .png is the default filetype).

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Right-click on the file and select "Rename." The file name will change to a blue-highlighted text box. Select the extension (.jpg, .gif, whatever it may be) and type .pdn or .png in its place. Press Enter or click off the icon somewhere else.

A dialog will pop up warning you that changing an extension manually will change the way programs interact with the file. Click OK to complete the renaming. Then, test it! Both PDNs and PNGs get thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer, so whether or not you get one should let you know right there.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Right-click on the file and select "Rename." The file name will change to a blue-highlighted text box. Select the extension (.jpg, .gif, whatever it may be) and type .pdn or .png in its place. Press Enter or click off the icon somewhere else.

A dialog will pop up warning you that changing an extension manually will change the way programs interact with the file. Click OK to complete the renaming. Then, test it! Both PDNs and PNGs get thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer, so whether or not you get one should let you know right there.

~ Becoming the Archetype

it's not showing the extention. the blue box is coming up, but it's not letting me change the extention. It just shows the files name. I'm trying this in my documents. Is that where it needs to be? It is a layered file and when I click properties, it says that it is a paint.net image.

Thanks for the help :)

it's not showing the extention. the blue box is coming up, but it's not letting me change the extention. It just shows the files name. I'm trying this in my documents. Is that where it needs to be? It is a layered file and when I click properties, it says that it is a paint.net image.

Thanks for the help :)

In order to see file name extensions it may be necessary to do the following:

1. Open your My Documents folder

2. Run the menu Tools > Folder Options...

3. Click the View tab

4. Clear the check box by the advanced option "Hide extensions to known file types"

5. Click the "Apply to all folders" button

6. Click the OK button

In order to see file name extensions it may be necessary to do the following:

1. Open your My Documents folder

2. Run the menu Tools > Folder Options...

3. Click the View tab

4. Clear the check box by the advanced option "Hide extensions to known file types"

5. Click the "Apply to all folders" button

6. Click the OK button