Fading image edges to transparency

I need to take this image and give it a rounded edge that gradually fades to transparent.  I have tried following various tutorials that suggest using BoltBait's alpha transparency plugin for the job.  However, I find that the plugin crashes each time.  I am something of a newbie when it comes to image manipulation.  I'd be most grateful to anyone who might be able to suggest the right way to do this.

Hello. :)

Try using the ellipse selection tool :EllipseSelectTool: to make a round selection around your image, then invert the selection (ctrl + i) :InvertSelection:,  and hit delete on your keyboard. This should give your image the roundness that you hopefully want.

If you don't want your image round, but just want rounded corners, then you might like this plugin: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/31574-radius-corners-v13-now-with-anti-aliasing-feb-28-2015/

After your image is the shape you want, you can try using the plugin Eli has suggest, or I personally prefer the Alpha Blur plugin.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles