Looking for advice on how to "bend" a layer/image

I'm looking for some advice on how to achieve an effect. I have an image of somebody holding a flag, with the flag transparent. I'm looking to import various pictures of flags into another layer and "bend" them to fit the transparent space, which is shaped similar to this:

F97vTiJ.jpg

It would be great if I could do this via layers so I can switch to whatever flag I want to have showing at the moment. It seems like something I should be able to do in Paint.NET but I can't figure it out.

Thank you for your help.

Hi @theGECK and Welcome to PDN.

1.  You should have the transparent flag that you posted on a layer of its own.

2.  Import the flag(s) you want to put inside, on their own layers and uncheck the layers you are not using.

3.  Use the magic want on the inside of your flag outline, invert the selection and go to the layer which has the image you want and hit delete on your computer.

You will now have the new image inside of the outline and you can then flatten it with the flag outline layer - use Gaussian Blur first to soften the edges.

For more flags you need to make copies of the flag outline.  I hope this is of help.

FYI - you may want to look at this tutorial here as well.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.