32-bit MSI may not be installed on 64-bit OS!

TomFizz

I love Paint.net. Used it for years on my desktop. I have paid for the latest Serif software, yet prefer a very old Photoshop Elements V.2 and still find myself slipping back to Paint.net, so when I upgraded my laptop and set about installing my favourite must-haves, I naturally installed the latest Paint.net ... only to have the installation brutally halted by "32-bit MSI may not be installed on 64-bit OS - OK". Well, it is not okay, but I have to click and the installation stops and disappears. My laptop runs Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, my PC runs Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. My laptop is trying to install the latest Paint.net, my PC has Paint.net 3.1 running without any problem. Any advice?

Where did you download the installer from?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Thank you for your swift response David & Rick, my tardiness being due to time-lag across the pond. I cannot remember where I downloaded it. I tend to go to home sites for most software, but cannot be positive about this time. However, your concern over provenance led me to delete the executable and download direct from http://www.getpaint.net. Guess what? No problem! Keep up the good work. I'll be donating as an expression of my appreciation.

I hope you mean getpaint.net , but I'm glad you got it all sorted. :-)  For the health of your PC, I'd recommend only ever downloading this program (and all plugins) from this website.  We've had trouble in the past with bundled spyware or viruses on third-party sites.

Good luck!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.