PDN 4.0 - Copy/Paste and Moving Selections

Cavar

Hello,

First off, I love the new Paint.NET beta! You guys have done a great job on it.

That being said, I am having a hard time copy/pasting and moving selections compared to the prior version.

Sometimes I want to copy an area, then paste it and move it to another area to overwrite what was there, but if the selection is too small it I can only get the selection to rotate or stretch. If I happen to get the 4 arrow move icon and try to move the selection, it actually removes from the old position, which leaves a transparency crosshatch in its place. The old version didn't work like that.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Cav

I recommend using layers. Add a new layer and paste your thing on the layer. That way, the background will be unaffected by any modifications to the thing you pasted.

As for the problem with the small selections, you can also move things by clicking a dragging a location outside the selection. Or just zoom in.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Yeah, I used the layers method once, but that's such a pain compared to the way the prior version worked. If I wanted to do some quick edits and copy/paste several selections then I'd have to keep creating a new layer?

Or are you saying I can just create 1 additional layer and do all of my selection copy/pasting like the old version? That wouldn't be so bad.

I was unable to reproduce the issue.  The only way I could cause the crosshatch background to show up was if I selected and moved without performing a copy+paste.  If I selected, copied, pasted, and then moved, it always moved the copy and left the original intact, generating no open rectangle.

As a side note, to move a selection, your cursor doesn't have to be inside the selection.  Anywhere outside of the selection area works fine too, as long as you're far enough away from the rotation/stretch handles.

Thanks, againey. I totally missed that.

Like againey pointed out, if you copy and make sure you paste before moving the selection, you won't have any problems with the transparency.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

As a side note, to move a selection, your cursor doesn't have to be inside the selection.  Anywhere outside of the selection area works fine too, as long as you're far enough away from the rotation/stretch handles.

Thanks for this! It is the behavior I was looking for. I was so used to clicking inside the selection in the prior version.  =O

It actually worked in prior versions too, so if you have to roll back for any reason, that trick will still work.  :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.