bigger image asking about removing 'a novel by' from ebook cover

d555xvu6owedfd9fg.jpg

Here is a bigger image for a question for an earlier post. Actually I have to questions:

#1) A lot of people say having 'a novel by' is amateurish and totally unnecessary  do you agree and think it should go?

If you answered 'yes' to #1, proceed to #2.  :smile:

#2) I made this cover in paint.net before I understood layers, so does anybody have a suggestion for an effective way of getting rid of 'a novel by'?

Thank you.

Gregg, "a novel by" is unnecessary in my opinion because the places where your novel will be advertised or made available for purchase, there is not going to be any confusion as to what the cover represents. Bit like writing "MAIL" on your mailbox. 

Two other issues with the "a novel by" is that it is too close to the word above it. Also, if it needs to jut out then an even spacing between the 2 rows of text would be best. 

Another handy hint is to avoid rows of text in all capitals. The impact to the focal point "THE FIND" will be better if the line below is in Title Case. Lower case for "a novel by" is a good choice so you are on the right track. I would also consider making your name a taddy bit smaller.

I had a hard time realising that it was a hand...so perhaps having it bit sharper would have been good. 

Gregg, hindsight is always 20/20 :D 

I've learnt the hard way to do as many layers as possible & to save often. Sometimes I have an element, say for instance the hand, I will duplicate the layer but hide it in case  change my mind later & want to have it sharper, darker, coloured etc. At least that way I have an original to go back to. 

You can get rid of the "a novel by" using the copy/paste blues (link) in your other thread :D

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Gregg, "a novel by" is unnecessary in my opinion because the places where your novel will be advertised or made available for purchase, there is not going to be any confusion as to what the cover represents. Bit like writing "MAIL" on your mailbox. 

Two other issues with the "a novel by" is that it is too close to the word above it. Also, if it needs to jut out then an even spacing between the 2 rows of text would be best. 

Another handy hint is to avoid rows of text in all capitals. The impact to the focal point "THE FIND" will be better if the line below is in Title Case. Lower case for "a novel by" is a good choice so you are on the right track. I would also consider making your name a taddy bit smaller.

I had a hard time realising that it was a hand...so perhaps having it bit sharper would have been good. 

Gregg, hindsight is always 20/20 :D

I've learnt the hard way to do as many layers as possible & to save often. Sometimes I have an element, say for instance the hand, I will duplicate the layer but hide it in case  change my mind later & want to have it sharper, darker, coloured etc. At least that way I have an original to go back to. 

You can get rid of the "a novel by" using the copy/paste blues (link) in your other thread :D

Thanks Barb for the great advice. I will check out that link using the copy/paste blues.