Set manual location of a selection or image

This is a suggestion for future versions, to give the ability to set a manual location for an image or selection, and using this ability to give precise display of images, photos or graphics of the sorts.

The reason I say this is because I feel it would make precision much more in-depth, and make it easier to manage the graphics on the display. Another feature that marries this concept is alignment, with the ability to make certain objects on a specific layer to have that similar x or y location to that of another object, with the ability to enable/disable alignment.

While alignment is more of a vector feature, it would make graphic drawing much easier, especially if Paint.NET marries some vector features to improve on it's current bezier curve interpretation of line drawing.

Discuss and let us all know what your feelings of this feature is.

Thank you for posting the alignment plugin; however, I still feel that using the arrow keys is not as efficient as setting your own co-ordinates for a specific object as it would take longer to achieve a perfect result.

Edit: In addition, while the object alignment plugin is good, it will not achieve my suggestion that is, as described above, "Another feature that marries this concept is alignment, with the ability to make certain objects on a specific layer to have that similar x or y location to that of another object, with the ability to enable/disable alignment."

Edited by brutalexcess

• 9 months later...

I second this. I use Paint.NET while developing image processing algorithms.

When I'm comparing results across multiple instances of the same image,

it helps to be able to select the exact same location across these images, 

so I can crop to this and save. The nudge via the arrow keys definitely helps,

but manual numeric entry would be even more convenient.

Also, it would help if the range of the rectangular selection were displayed somewhere.

E.g. something like

top left = (10,90) | bottom right = (200,300) | width,height = (190,210)

Cheers!