request help to create simple navigation tabs

Hi, first let me say I have never used an image editing program to create anything - so I am the rankest of beginners.

I'd like to create some background images for the tabs for my website menu that look like those plastic tabs that you use on hanging file folders - the ones that are colored plastic, and you insert the white paper tabs in.

here's the goal: http://directlyyours.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=4130

I know I can create what I want in paint but I just don't know how to do it.

I don't need any fancy effects - I'm thinking I need one layer that is a semi-transparent colored rectangle, another layer that creates a gradient to make it look "shiny plastic" and another layer with a smaller white rectangle on top of/under the others so it looks like the white tab is showing through the plastic.

I have tried to use the paint tools and I am such a beginner I cannot get what I want.

Could someone take a moment and give me real basic step by step instructions?

A second option without the plastic/transparent effects is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smead-64053-FasTab-Hanging-File-Folders-SMD64053-/310410339633

But I don't know how I could create that shape in paint.

thank you so much in advance for your help!!

Hi - thanks for the quick reply!

I'm sorry I wasn't clear - I'm just looking for the tab itself for my website navigation - not the whole folder.

Currently I'm using a simple rectangle with rounded top corners - if I go with the second option I was hoping to make a tab with those curvy slanted sides. But I'd really love to go with the first option with the plastic tabs.

See examples of both options here: http://jdorganizer.blogspot.com/2007/03/3-new-filing-products-from-smead.html

(I can do the file folder label!)

thank you again in advance! :smile:

yes! that would be great - with more of a gradient, and a white tab inside.

That tutorial linked above is hard for me to figure out what parts I need to use -

maybe someone could walk me through this:

I think I need these layers

1. white rectangle for tab insert 100 pixels x 30 pixels - I can do this

2. blue isosceles trapezoid to make the blue tab shape you did above - how do you do that? Does it have an outline around it?

3. layer to make the gradient - or do I do that in layer 2?

4. layer to make it shiny - is that glow or reflect blend? if yes, what do I do with this layer to blend it with next layer down?

thanks in advance for all your help