plug ins question, any generally helpful ones I should add first?

I saw tute's and developments for plug ins, but hope this is the place for this topic!

What I want to do first, is use the program to create paintings, mostly landscapes. I saw a tool to click for oil painting, I remember the approximate location visually but not the category of the drop down, sorry.

I was wondering if anyone thought there would be any certain plug ins I'd benefit most from, for this use.

Maybe custom brushes, for one?

I'm fairly new to digi, if this is too vague, please feel free to help me be more clear.

Thanks for any assistance, advice or ideas. :)

the "oil painting" conversion you are looking for is effects>artistic> oilpainting, but this converts an already created picture to look like it was done in oil, there are custom brushes in the plug-ins ..as well as smudge and other tools....

but to be honest, even as big a diehard fan of PDN as i am, if i was going to 'paint' with a program, i would use twistedbrush which does have a limited free version-- it applies the paints in oil style or pastels/watercolours etc

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

the "oil painting" conversion you are looking for is effects>artistic> oilpainting, but this converts an already created picture to look like it was done in oil, there are custom brushes in the plug-ins ..as well as smudge and other tools....

but to be honest, even as big a diehard fan of PDN as i am, if i was going to 'paint' with a program, i would use twistedbrush which does have a limited free version-- it applies the paints in oil style or pastels/watercolours etc

ok, I get it, thanks for the info about oil paint effects :)

twisted brush... I have heard of that. Thanks so much! I have been reading here in the plug in tutes off and on all day. A lot of it is really over my head. I could learn it in time, but, I'm concerned about getting everything I want added and understood, before v4.0 comes out and my OS may be outdated for that.( I also didn't want to just add plug ins willy nilly, but pick and choose carefully.)I hardly know what I'm doing haha. But I can learn just don't know if there's enough time. I have a busy life, 2 gkids and a disability. Maybe when we can upgrade our OS, I'll come back, if I don't have time to learn and install everything I want now. (because I could still use the older version I think, according to what I've read, after v4.0 is here, but maybe w/o support. Ric said in another thread to me, he's not sure about some things yet with v4.0) Am I making sense :lol: ?

I'll google twistedbrush! :)

...........................................................................................................................

Thanks Sfifer, but it's really just not that simple for me :)