3.57 beta - Text tool crash - Solved

Sarkut

Using the text tool, with a letter in place, switching to a different font with tool still active.

Crash.

Program allowed changes in other open file in image list to be saved.

Was not able to save file that produced the crash.

Menu items disappeared from view.

No response to keyboard shortcuts for saving.

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/483/crashic01.png

==================================================================

Exception details:
PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception ---> System.Exception: ..\DirectWriteFontRenderer.cpp (800) : hr = pD2DRenderTarget->EndDraw(); ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x88985003): Exception from HRESULT: 0x88985003
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.x86.Typography.DirectWrite.DirectWriteFontRenderer.DrawTextToBitmap(IBitmapTextRenderTarget target, String text, Point offset, Int32Rect clipRect)
  at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.x86.Typography.DirectWrite.DirectWriteFontRenderer.DrawTextBase(ITextRenderTarget target, String text, Point offset, Int32Rect clipRect)
  at PaintDotNet.Typography.FontRendererExtensions.DrawText(IFontRenderer fontRenderer, ITextRenderTarget target, String text, Point offset, Int32Rect clipBounds) in D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\Base\Typography\FontRendererExtensions.cs:line 23
  at PaintDotNet.Tools.TextTool.<>c__DisplayClassa.<RedrawText>b__2(Object ) in D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\PaintDotNet\Tools\TextTool.cs:line 978
  at PaintDotNet.Threading.PrivateThreadPool.ThreadWrapperContext.ThreadWrapper() in D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\Core\Threading\PrivateThreadPool.cs:line 179
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at PaintDotNet.Threading.PrivateThreadPool.DrainExceptions() in D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\Core\Threading\PrivateThreadPool.cs:line 74
  at PaintDotNet.Threading.PrivateThreadPool.Drain() in D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\Core\Threading\PrivateThreadPool.cs:line 154
  at PaintDotNet.Tools.TextTool.RedrawText(Boolean cursorOn) in D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\PaintDotNet\Tools\TextTool.cs:line 1082
  at PaintDotNet.Tools.TextTool.OnKeyPress(KeyPressEventArgs e) in D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\PaintDotNet\Tools\TextTool.cs:line 1413
  at PaintDotNet.Controls.AppWorkspace.DocumentKeyPress(Object sender, KeyPressEventArgs e) in D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\PaintDotNet\Controls\AppWorkspace.cs:line 1756
  at PaintDotNet.Controls.DocumentView.OnDocumentKeyPress(KeyPressEventArgs e) in D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\PaintDotNet\Controls\DocumentView.cs:line 1174
  at PaintDotNet.Controls.DocumentView.Panel_KeyPress(Object sender, KeyPressEventArgs e) in D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\PaintDotNet\Controls\DocumentView.cs:line 1180
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnKeyPress(KeyPressEventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyEventArgs(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKeyChar(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
  at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.ScrollPanel.WndProc(Message& m) in D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\SystemLayer\ScrollPanel.cs:line 78
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

================================================================

This problem is similar to the one posted by Barbara Mc:

Procedure followed:

sfc / scannow from elevated command prompt, run three times in succession.

From elevated command prompt:

chkdsk /f /r

From elevated command prompt:

sfc /scannow

CBS.log showed that verdana.ttf and verdanab.ttf could not be repaired.

Windows would not allow them to be deleted.

Booted into Linux Mint Live CD to delete all Verdana font files.

From Windows downloaded and replaced Verdana font.

Problem seems to be fixed.

Edited by Sarkut

Thanks for updating me here, I might need it again one day. I just decided to live with my problem, I am a dinasor and still prefer my desktop when given the choice, and the problem was on my Toshiba laptop. The problem continued on. Strangely enough, one day I was working on an image and clicked the text tool and all the fonts loaded. Taadah....I have no idea what caused the problem or what fixed the problem, if it's fixed. I still half hold my breath each time I click the text tool:} By the way, since I originally posted this issue, I purchased Photoshop and still prefer PDN:} Thanks again for all the help!