How do i make my image animate?

Captain

Ok here's the question that's driving me up the wall; i have a few animated gif's that i want to combine into one big picture, these are all stored as gif's not aig's.

So i open them up in Paint net make them up into the pic and then when i try to save them as an aig i get an error message coming up and no review pic appears!

Has anyone else had this problem?

The problem is occurring at the stage where i'm building the separate images up and then saving them, as when i try to put just one of the gifs on themselves, without building them up in Paint net, they animate perfectly.

Anyone else had problems with this?

Do you rename them to .agif before opening them in Paint.NET?

No i didn't do that Sarkut, they were left just as gif, but that's what i did when i loaded up one of the gifs into a small banner to try it out, and when i just used the one gif instead

of three it animated perfectly.

Also when i open up the image and try to save it as an agif, before opening paint net, the small thumbnails of the gif disappear from my documents folder display when i hit save.

Opening an animated GIF without first renaming the extension to .agif will convert the file to a single layer.

The animation will be lost.

Ok Sarkut, thanks, i'll try it out and get back to you.

No, it won't let me save it as an AGIF, as soon as i try to do that, the image, that was previously saved as an ordinary GIF disappears from my documents folder, the thumbnail just vanishes.

I'll describe exactly what i'm trying to do to see if that gives you a better idea; I open paint.net, set my first background layer on to which i'm going to superimpose three photos or animated gif's which are all of the same subject. I hit the acquire from file button and browse which file i want to upload, so i see the file that is stored as a GIF, this GIF actually animates though it is stored as an ordinary gif. Now when i open that GIF if i try to save it the way you're describing that's when the small thumbnail that i'm trying to upload just vanishes.

If i keep it as a GIF it uploads to my previosly set up background layer. Now i do this for all three GIF's so that essentially i have all three side by side in the image, but if i try to save that image with all three GIF's on the background layer that's when i get the error message coming up and no pic there for review.

If i can explain it any further i'll try to but that's essentially what's happening, the actual GIF i'm using is of no real significance as it' could be an animated flower or a piece of animated text, it's the same thing no matter what kind of GIF i load up, they will animate individually but as soon as i build them into a background, no movement.

Your Windows system may not know how to process

the .agif extension for thumbnail production.

If you switch your folder view to Details does the file

remain present and visible when renamed to .agif?

What OS version do you have? (XP, Vista, Windows 7, etc.)

Your Windows system may not know how to process

the .agif extension for thumbnail production.

If you switch your folder view to Details does the file

remain present and visible when renamed to .agif?

What OS version do you have? (XP, Vista, Windows 7, etc.)

I have windows Vista Sarkut and i'm just gonna try what you mention about changing the view to see if it works. boltbait.smile.png

It does the same thing Sarkut when i change the view to details, i go to save it as an AGIF and the text for the details disappears, instead of before when it was the small thumbnail.

It's a puzzler.

I use Vista , and don't encounter the situation that you describe.

As a workaround, you could do the edit and save as a .pdn file.

Then use the Layer Saver app, to harvest the layers as separate files,

use an external program like Unfreez or Beneton Movie GIF

to put them together as an animated GIF file.

Edited by Sarkut

It's a puzzler.

I use Vista , and don't encounter the situation that you describe.

As a workaround, you could do the edit and save as a .pdn file.

Then use the Layer Saver app, to harvest the layers as separate files,

use an external program like Unfreez or Beneton Movie GIF

to put them together as an animated GIF file.

When you finish working on a gif on paint net and go to save it as an AGIF does it not give you an error message coming up?

I downloaded that unfreez program and it doesn't work either, or should i say it doesn't work doing what i want it to do.

Just have to give up i suppose. boltbait.sad.pngboltbait.mad.png