Paint.NET Alpha 1 Release Notes.

Can we have a look at them, there are many areas missing in Alpha 1, but it's only worth me logging a report, if you are not delaring them in the release notes...

For example, highlighting several files in explorer, and selecting to open with Paint .NET, only opens 1 file.... This may be a known limitation, but until I see declared issues, then I don't know...

That's a known limitation, even Photoshop has this behavior -- use "Edit" instead. The changelist will be posted with the public alpha:

Brand new Multiple Document Interface (MDI) with tabs that show thumbnails for all the opened images.
    Colors window now supports a color palette, along with the ability to manage multiple named custom palettes
    Colors window now uses value sliders that more clearly show how the color is being manipulated
    Floating windows now better support docking and snapping, and remember their positions across sessions
    Brand new icon and logo, including full 256x256 icon so that it looks great on Vista
    Toolbar is context dependent: only the toolbar items relevant to the current tool are shown
    Tolerance control moved to the toolbar
    Ability to choose default values for toolbar items, as well as the tool that is selected at startup
    Ability to draw with "smooth" or "sharp" text. Smooth text is good most of the time, and sharp text is good for when 'smooth' doesn't look good (sometimes for small text), or for doing GUI mockups
    UI for update checking, downloading, and installing is better
    "Edit -> Paste in to New Image" replaces "File->Acquire from Clipboard", and is accessible with Ctrl + Alt + V
    Updates and Language commands moved to Help menu
    History window now uses much less memory and significantly fewer User/GDI handles
    Session temporary data is now compressed if the file system is NTFS. This results in less disk I/O and thus higher performance
    Font list dropdown loads much quicker
    .PDN file thumbnails upgraded to 256x256 (used to max out at 96x96), which looks great in Vista
    Color Picker gives you the ability to choose what happens when you click: it can be set to switch to the Pencil tool
    Move Selected Pixels tool allows you to choose between bilinear and nearest neighbor resampling
    For expired pre-release builds (alphas and betas), you are now given the ability to check for and install the latest version from within the UI instead of having to go to the website
    Various misc. UI tweaks and refinements
    Eraser tool now takes into account the alpha value of the primary color
    Selected area is no longer removed after flattening the image
    Gutted and refactored large amounts of the code
    Dropped Windows 2000 support
    Dropped Itanium support

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I've noticed with many MDI programs that opening files through the right-click -> Open With... -> [ program ] with multiple files selected only opens one of them.

One thing that could use some looking at, though, is, if PDN is set as the default editor of images, right clicking with multiple files seleted and choosing Edit breaks Windows Explorer on Windows XP MCE.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Sorry...

It's just the generic "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We're sorry for the inconvenience." prompt box asking me to send the report to Microsoft, which I have done.

If you select multiple PDN files and select Edit, it works. If you select one JPG, PNG, et cetera, it works. But throw more than one JPG or PNG at it, and it breaks.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype