earth tutorial, the right one?

Hello all,

I know there are dozens of planet tutorials, here. I found a great one few weeks ago but cannot find it again, I remember it was greatly detailed and well written. For what i can remember it used a texture of earth, a second one for moutains, a third one for clouds. If somone sees what which one I'm talking about that would be great.

What I would like to do is this:

but a bit faster. Any idea of how to proceed? How can i make it animated? I saw that on pdn I can do an animated gif, and even animated png, but is it the right way to do it?

Thanks for your help!

You might like adding an atmosphere to your Earth: 100% PDN Planet Tutorial v2!

For animation, here's the Animated image plugin: Animated Image 2.1 - AGIF & APNG

Regarding the actual animating, the only thing I could recommend is create a few dozen duplicates of your Earth texture (the map with everything on it), run Shape3D on each one, but change the settings a little for each individual frame. Shape3D has a load of settings and nobs, so you'll have precise control over your planet. If you want the atmosphere in your animation, you're gonna have to keep a copy of the final composite glow over each frame, then merge each glow down with each planet layer, or you'll end up with an animation that shifts between a glow and a planet every fraction of a second. Sounds hard, but with enough determination, I'm sure it's possible.

100% PDN animations have been done before, with galaxies and solar systems. Check these out:

Galleria, pg 2 (# 31)

This one was not made by me.

A galaxy tutorial I writ a while ago.(#18)

I did make this one, and I got away using only layer rotate/zoom; since Shape3D was unnecessary.

Hope this helps.

Edited by jerry533482

Space...The Final Frontier. -James Tiberius Kirk; circa 2260s

YLOD VICTIM