Error

I was messing with the viewing options of the "Open" window, then I opened, and... crash.

This text file was created because Paint.NET crashed.
Please e-mail this file to paint.net@hotmail.com so we can diagnose and fix the problem.

Application version: Paint.NET v3.0 (Milestone 2 Release build 3.0.2458.3150)
Time of crash: 24-09-2006 19:30:47
Application uptime: 00:05:35.7812500
OS Version: 5.1.2600.131072 Service Pack 2 --- Exception while populating osType: System.ArgumentException: Enum underlying type and the object must be same type or object must be a String. Type passed in was 'System.Byte'; the enum underlying type was 'System.Int32'.
  at System.Enum.IsDefined(Type enumType, Object value)
  at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.OS.get_Type()
  at PaintDotNet.Startup.UnhandledException(Exception ex)
x86
.NET Framework version: 2.0.50727.42 x86
Processor: 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Physical memory: 511 MB

Exception details:
System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
  at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.GetOpenFileName(OPENFILENAME_I ofn)
  at System.Windows.Forms.OpenFileDialog.RunFileDialog(OPENFILENAME_I ofn)
  at System.Windows.Forms.FileDialog.RunDialog(IntPtr hWndOwner)
  at System.Windows.Forms.CommonDialog.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
  at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.UI.ShowFileDialogWithThumbnailView(Control owner, FileDialog fd)
  at PaintDotNet.DocumentWorkspace.ShowFileDialog(Control owner, FileDialog fd)
  at PaintDotNet.DocumentWorkspace.ChooseFiles(Control owner, String[]& fileNames, Boolean multiselect, String startingDir)
  at PaintDotNet.Actions.OpenFileAction.PerformAction(AppWorkspace appWorkspace)
  at PaintDotNet.AppWorkspace.PerformAction(AppWorkspaceAction performMe)
  at PaintDotNet.AppWorkspace.CommonActionsStrip_ButtonClick(Object sender, EnumValueEventArgs e)
  at PaintDotNet.CommonActionsStrip.OnButtonClick(CommonAction action)
  at PaintDotNet.CommonActionsStrip.OnItemClicked(ToolStripItemClickedEventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.HandleItemClick(ToolStripItem dismissingItem)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
  at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.ToolStripEx.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

sig6rj3.png

I get crash reports like this every once inawhile through paint.net@hotmail.com ... and I can never tell what's at fault. Is it my code? Is it Windows' code? Is the system just overheating or overclocked or has bad memory and freaking out?

So if you ever find a solid, consistent set of repro steps ... I'd love to have them.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

OS Version: 5.1.2600.131072 Service Pack 2 --- Exception while populating osType: System.ArgumentException: Enum underlying type and the object must be same type or object must be a String. Type passed in was 'System.Byte'; the enum underlying type was 'System.Int32'. 
  at System.Enum.IsDefined(Type enumType, Object value) 
  at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.OS.get_Type() 
  at PaintDotNet.Startup.UnhandledException(Exception ex) 
x86 

The fact that some of my data in managed (C#) land got corrupted gives me clues as to the parts of code that could have caused this. The reason is that verifiable managed code could not possibly do this. So it must either be native (C/C++ -- in other words Windows or other components that are loaded as a consequence) code, or some of the unsafe/unverifiable C# code (the code that uses pointers).

What were you doing before this crash? Effects? Tools?

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg