Need Help - Add a "Smoke" effect to a Logo

So I'm working on a project for a gaming community I belong to, and have been attempting for days to add the community's logo to my work. However, I'm having trouble manipulating the logo into what I want to look like smoke rising from the ashes or rubble. I've searched for a few tutorials and have even came across a "Smoke Effect" set of brushes, but nothing seems to work.

Basically, I'm trying to incorporate the logo somewhere in the back of the "zombie pile" that isn't necessarily a focal point (maybe obscured a bit) and mimics the look of smoke rising from one of the burning buildings in the background. Also, I'd love for the logo's placement not to conflict with much of the focal point (the zombie pile, especially the blood).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*Image I'm Using: 41182_6635ef75283e71a3fc75fd122ab61e7b

*Logo I want to Incorporate: 41182_e0144c4e85ae4fb149a2fc8f61b252b3

Thanks again!

InformAvvy.png

This is how I would do it....

OK first of all you will need to think in terms of dividing your image into several layers. You will need to cut the zombie pile layer away from the image into it's own layer. You will need to read up on that here...viewtopic.php?f=34&t=28790&hilit=cut+out+images You will want your background (the smoldering city part) as the bottom layer, then your logo added to the next layer up, then the zombie pile on the top layer. On your logo layer you will need to get rid of everything but the logo using the magic wand and te feather tool or by cutting it out like you will do for the zombie pile. Then you will need to add a new transparent layer above that and paint in some smoke using the Custom mini brushes and one of the smoke brushes. Then all you have to do is select the logo, switch to the smoke layer and copy and paste it to a new layer. Turn off your original smoke layer and logo layer and tweek it look like you want it. That should be the basic plan to get you what you want.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

Thanks for the replies/input guys.

Just to give you an idea, I've worked with PDN for several years, so I'm not necessarily an novice, but I've never attempted an effect like this as well. Either way, I started messing around with it some more and this is what I came up with. It's not as "smokey" as I would like it, but I don't want it smudged to the point of not being recognized (afterall this is going to be an advertisement).

Tell me what you think....I can send someone the PDN file as well if someone is interested in taking a stab...

MOTDLOGO.png

InformAvvy.png

You may want to play with the idea of what

I've done with layers 25 and 31.

Duplicated, applied a transparent radial gradient,

and renamed, 25A 25B 31A 31B.

By adjusting the Opacity slider in Layer Properties

of 25B and 31B, you can allow some translucency

in the upper/outer part of the smoke plumes.

If you want to do this on the right-side smoke plume

will probably need to soften-up/smokify the bottom

part of the logo to blend with the rest.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 5592947894

Thanks for taking a stab at it Sark.

I opened up the file and messed around with it a bit more. It seems you just added more layers (which is a valid direction to take it) but it didn't do much to change the overall effect of the logo.

I really wish I had a tablet to try and free-hand my attempt at it.

Basically, this is the idea I want to pull off...

http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/photo-effects-tutorials/manipulate-smoke-to-create-hyper-real-images/

InformAvvy.png

That does help clarify the kind of smoke look

you're going for. :)

====================================

Google search for:

Photoshop smoke brushes.

abrViewer (To extract the brushes)

If something like this is suitable to blend

with the smoke brushes, let me know.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7301/smokeylogo01.png

Edited by Sarkut

Take the original logo and apply:

Effects > Stylize > Outline

then

Adjustments > Black and White

next

Duplicate the layer a few times with upper layers

set to Multiply mode, until the lines are fully black.

Merge layers.

Apply Grim Color Reaper plugin, set to white.

You should now have a black on alpha image.

Smudge with a soft brush at 25% tolerance.

Adjustments > Invert Colors

This gives the smokey white on alpha look.