newbie question involving removing white

Hi guys.

So I guess the first step is to admit that I'm a newbie? I mean, I have been using paint.net for a while but a none to brief peruse of the form tells me that there is still much much to learn.

So I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a couple of questions.

My main concern is this:

I have a pop art picture I'm doing and I used the 50% fill option for one layer, but now I need all the white of the checkerboard deleted so that I have the alpha thingy there in my layer. Does that make sense? Anyway, is there a way to just delete all white? Preferably without another plug-in but I'll take what I can get.

Also, is there anyway to have select things that are the same but the pixels are diagonal? Like on a grid or checkerboard I guess? Just wondering on this one.

Thanks a ton guys! And I'll post the finished pop-art when (and if) it's done. :)

Removing the white on the checkerboard? I take it you did not create the checkerboard but it is there when you deleted a section of colour.

The checkerboard is there as a visual guide only. It represents transparency. In other words it shows that there is nothing there. So no, it cannot be deleted but when you save the image as a .PNG the checkerboard bits will not show up but will be the same colour or pattern/texture as the background you put it in.

Not sure if I understand the question on the diagonal. Are you wanting to select for example a rectangle but it needs to be on a diagonal? If so, make you selection, & use the right mouse button to turn the selection.

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you need more help with this.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012