Hair & face manipulation (only partly)

Hi. Can anybody help me please. 1) How can I get gray shades (maybe with a certain brush?!) into black hair?...I tried some "how to colour-hair-tutorials" but the result didn't satisfy me. 2) I wanna have a few glow / light effects on particular face parts. What do I need to do? Here's an example of an image I found on the internet. If you look at the hair and the face you have an idea how I want my picture to look like -> spanishgirl I don't know if this is done with a 3D tool (I don't have experience with it yet) but I would appreciate if you could name me tutorials or give me a detailed description. I used to work with Photoshop (Elements 4.0) so I'm not familiar with the paint.net menu but as far as I can see it's similar. Thanks so much for your help. :)

You are correct about the hair: the best way to add in lighter strands would be to find a few hair brushes (such as these), use a gray color and paint them into your photo with the Custom Brushes plugin. As for the facial highlights, I suggest using the Burn and Dodge Tool tutorial and seeing what you can come up with.