how to crop an image

hi all. another newbie so please bear with me. would someone be good enough to tell me how to crop an image please? for example, if i take a print screen of my desktop, how to i crop that screen to show just the part i want? sorry if this is a dumb question that has been answered before.

many TIA

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

When I am not madly producing artwork, I am a teacher & I love questions!

Here is a response from one of our moderators EER:

Select the area you wish to crop to using one of the selection tools :EllipseSelectTool::RectangleSelectTool: .

Press Ctrl+Shift+x to crop to the selection.

People get a bit antsy if you don't try to use the search function but search is only as helpful as asking the right question & using the context specific terminology.

Bear in mind too, that the above makes the whole image (canvas & all) the size that you've cropped to.

Please feel free to Private Message (PM) me. I'll help here I can.

Also, the way you've succinctly put the request for help in the subject line is very good! Again welcome.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

hi again. many tnx for replies. i did try the search function first, but got no specific reply to my question, hence the post. as you say, this could easily be because of the way i asked the question. anyway, tnx again, much appreciated. gonna look at the 2 links posted as well.

Bear in mind too, that the above makes the whole image (canvas & all) the size that you've cropped to.
If you don't want that, another approach is to select the part you want to keep, use ctrl-I to invert the selection, and hit the delete key to remove the stuff you don't want.

DaveL