Drop Shadow: Request for Assistance with Simple Text Effect

Hello.

I'd like to get some assistance with Paint.net, please.

The main thing I'd be using Paint.net for is drop shadow, but I don't see an easy way to create it. Nor do I see a plug-in for drop shadow. Of course, I could be wrong--and most likely am.

All I really want to do is create some text, and have a little bit of drop shadow on it.

Here are examples:

freeware.jpg

protect.jpg

Nothing fancy, just plain text with a little shadow.

I made these drop shadow effects using an old version of Paint Shop Pro. I'd like to use Paint.net to make something like this. I've read a couple of threads about drop shadow, but it seems to involve creating and working with layers. Not being a graphics editor expert, I'm afraid it was a bit over my head.

Since Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop Elements both have drop shadow utilities built in, I was surprised to discover Paint.net does not. Or does it? Am I completely missing a feature that will do this?

Would anyone please be willing to guide me in the direction of creating a simple drop shadow effect? I would be greatly appreciative, as I would really like to use Paint.net for just about all of my graphic editing needs.

Thank you very much!

Jd

There is a Drop Shadow-plugin.

Here's a way to produce the effect without a plugin, though:

1. Open up a new Layer. :AddNewLayer:

If you're having trouble finding it, look at the Layers window and search for the icon above. Simply put, a layers are like transparencies. You can stack multiple layers to compose an image of them.

2. Type your Text.

Select the text tool from the Toolbox. It's the icon that has the letter T on it. Be sure to click on the "Layer 1" in the Layers window first, to make sure you're writing on the new layer.

3. Duplicate your Text Layer. :DuplicateLayer:

This is very simple. Click the Duplicate Layer icon in your Layers window.

4. Open Hue/Saturation/Brightness. :HueSaturation:

You can find this in the Adjustment menu. Select the layer you duplicated earlier, and slide the Brightness slider to -100.* Now put this layer with black text under your text. Click the Move tool :MoveTool: and move the black text to a spot you'd like your Drop Shadow to be.

*Skip if your colour was black in the first place.

(OPTIONAL) 5. Gaussian Blur your Shadow. :GaussianBlur:

Select the :GaussianBlur: Gaussian Blur in the Effects menu. Use your own preference.

An in-depth mini-tutorial for you. I have a lot of time. :|

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
|fb(page)|portfolio|blog|

Thanks for the mini-tutorial. A few questions:

When I open up a new layer, does that mean NOTHING should be on the screen? What I mean by that is this:

1. I open up a new project and just accept the default setting in the NEW dialog box.

2. In the History box, it says NEW IMAGE.

Do I add something to the screen now, or wait until I've created a new layer?

3. Assuming I do nothing until I've created a new layer, I create the new layer.

4. I type some text.

5. I duplicate the layer.

6. I select Hue/Saturation.

There is no Brightness setting there, but there is a LIGHTNESS setting. Is that what I'm supposed to use?

If so, I set it to -100.

7. I use the move tool. It's very difficult to get the duplicate text exactly where I want it. Also, the duplicate text is pretty much the same color and brightness as the original, so it's not really a shadow.

How do I rectify that?

Thank you!

Jd

Thanks for the mini-tutorial. A few questions:

When I open up a new layer, does that mean NOTHING should be on the screen? What I mean by that is this:

1. I open up a new project and just accept the default setting in the NEW dialog box.

2. In the History box, it says NEW IMAGE.

Do I add something to the screen now, or wait until I've created a new layer?

3. Assuming I do nothing until I've created a new layer, I create the new layer.

4. I type some text.

5. I duplicate the layer.

6. I select Hue/Saturation.

There is no Brightness setting there, but there is a LIGHTNESS setting. Is that what I'm supposed to use?

If so, I set it to -100.

7. I use the move tool. It's very difficult to get the duplicate text exactly where I want it. Also, the duplicate text is pretty much the same color and brightness as the original, so it's not really a shadow.

How do I rectify that?

Thank you!

Jd

1) Yes, that's what I meant. :)

2) I'm sorry, I forgot the last step.

Click F4, or Layer Properties :Properties: in the Layers window. Here you can adjust the Opacity.

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
|fb(page)|portfolio|blog|

Click F4, or Layer Properties in the Layers window. Here you can adjust the Opacity.

This worked! Okay, this is easier than I thought.

One final question--at least for now:

Is it possible for the original text to be one color, and the duplicate/shadow text another?

For example, can the original text be navy blue, but the duplicate text black, so when I adjust the opacity, it's a light gray?

Thank you once again.

Jd

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, it's me again.

Last week, I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled all my software from scratch. I installed Paint.Net 3.5.3, and now the instructions above for creating drop shadow do not seem to be working anymore. Everything was fine until this new version was installed.

Here's the problem: When I set the Lightness setting to -100, the canvas becomes completely black. This never happened before.

I then press F4 to set the opacity, and that lightens up the canvas, but I can't do anything else. I switch to MOVE mode from TEXT mode, but I do not see a drop shadow, and cannot manipulate it.

What happened? Why have I been able to create drop shadow effects with no problem, and now suddenly with a new version, I can't?

Has anyone tried creating drop shadow effects, using the instructions above, with 3.5.3? Did it work for you? Do I have to do anything differently?

Thank you! Jd

• 2 months later...