Feature requests: MSR Algorithms

I mostly focused on #4, and I think it would be possible (but not easy) to turn the papers and source code into a working plug-in. You'd have to build the priors outside of Paint.NET. And note that the result would basically be an even-more-awesome version of Increase Local Contrast (and Local Contrast Enhancement).

Segment Image : Average Color (HSL) : Eigen Blur : []

Cool, new forum!

In a sense. That corrects based on an actual color chart. The Bayesian algorithm corrects without needing a chart. It computes a posterior probability distribution for the color of the illuminant, based upon the observed intensities of the image pixels, a model of surface reflectance, and prior knowledge about what sort of color an illuminant might have. Then it estimates the true color of each pixel by "inverting" the illumination. I think the charts are just in the pictures to demonstrate its performance. The two plug-ins I mentioned also correct without a chart, but I imagine they use heuristics to do so. (edited for clarity)

Cool, new forum!

By the way, alexo, I thought I'd make a new post to thank you for asking about this! I had no idea that there was a generative model for pixel color until I read your post. If you're interested, the technique in #4 seems to go back to this paper: Bayesian Color Constancy with Non-Gaussian Models. The paper discusses several alternatives which may be simpler to implement in Paint.NET.

Cool, new forum!

I mostly focused on #4, and I think it would be possible (but not easy) to turn the papers and source code into a working plug-in.

I'm more interested in the other three :)

I wonder if, due to Paint.NET being a showcase of Microsoft's .NET technology, the MS-Research people can be persuaded to contribute... Obviously I am not the person to approach them though.