Color Picker <-> Color Wheel

Crazy Man Dan

Hey there! I have something for you...

I was working on that gradient tutorial I've been mentioning, and I noticed another little weird thing. I had used the Color Picker to select a color, but the position on the color wheel did not change to reflect the change in color.

So I tested it a little more. When I use the Color Picker to select a color when a color is selected on the wheel, the position doesn't change on the wheel. If I pick a transparent spot when there is a color selected on the wheel, the marker on the wheel moves to the center and the opacity is set to 0, just like it should be. If I select a transparent spot, then select a color, the position marker moves to that color on the wheel. However, once that color is selected, no matter how many times I selected one of the colors in my image, the marker on the wheel will not move again until I select another transparent pixel.

So, I got curious. I dropped the opacity on one of the layers to see if it had to do with the opacity level, since it went fine when changing between 255-0 and 0-255, but not from 255-255. But this rendered the same result.

Now, all this time, I'd been working with layers of red, orange, and yellow (FF0000, FF8800, F6FF00). So I threw in a blue layer just for the sake of testing. The marker on the wheel moves just fine when switching from red/orange/yellow to blue and when switching from blue back to red/orange/yellow, but not when switching between red-orange-yellow.

Another strange thing: when getting the hex codes for up there, I opened up the "More" panel of the colors window to access the text box. When I selected one of the colors (red/orange/yellow), the hex code changed appropriately, but the marker did not. But when I hit [Ctrl]+c to copy the hex value, the marker then moved to the appropriate position.

I know, I'm terrible at explaining things... I hope I didn't confuse you too much.

If you need further explanation, just let me know.

Dan

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Yeah, I figured that'd be tough to explain with just text...

Alrighty, try this. Download this file. It's the one I was working with at the time:

http://www.musca.net/cmdsketchpad/wetpa ... xample.pdn

Open 'er up in Paint.NET 2.2 Alpha 1, and follow these steps:

1. Switch to the Color Picker tool.

2. While still on the Background layer, click on the point marked "1." The foreground color will change, but the color wheel marker will stay in the center and the brightness slider will stay at the bottom.

3. Switch to Layer 2 and click on the point marked "2." Again, the foreground color box will change to orange, but the color wheel won't move.

4. Switch to Layer 3 and click on the point marked "3." Now, since there is no color information in that layer at that point, the brightness slider will move to the top (white) and the opacity will be set to 0.

5. While still on Layer 3, click the point marked "4." Now, the foreground color box changes to yellow and the color wheel reflects this change.

6. Switch to Layer 2 again and again click the point marked "2." Once again, the foreground color changes to orange, but the color wheel stays at yellow.

See what I mean? When switching from color to color, the color wheel doesn't reflect the changes. When switching from color to transparency to color, the wheel does reflect the changes.

I hope that was able to explain things better.

Dan

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype