Paint.Net halts on open/save while connected to the net

Hi,

I have used Paint.Net for a long time and it was working perfectly and I update it as soon as a new version released (current version is 3.36). .Net v.3.5 is installed on my machine (Dell Latitude, Windows XP SP3)

But there's a problem that had just shown up yesterday (last time I used it before that was 3 days ago and it was working fine and no windows updates happened since). Here is what happened in details:

While using it, BitDefender asked me to allow Paint.Net to access the net - which is a little bit weird since this usually happens when a program is installed or updated. I allowed it and it worked fine until I tried to save. The program stopped responding and I had to kill it (BTW, It was not utilizing CPU at all before killing its process).

I found out that the same problem happens when I open/save/save as, and if I don't kill it, it takes a very long time to perform the required operation. Uninstalling Paint.Net and reinstalling it did not solve the problem.

Finally. I found out that the problem does not happen unless I'm connected to the internet; and if I'm connected and then disconnect the net or disable the network card, it works immediately. I checked the program's network activity and I found it connects to 0.0.0.0:xxxx and waits on some sort of response from there and if that connection is broken, the program resumes working.

Any help will be appreciated!!!

Have you mapped any network drives?

Do you have any videos in the target folder?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Thanks for the reply which inspired me to figure out the reason of the problem

I checked the target folder (Desktop) and there was not any video. But I have a folder - which I created recently - there which I keep few asx playlists of online radio stations. When I moved this folder somewhere else, the program worked properly. I did more testing and found out wherever I try to access the parent folder of that folder, the problem reoccurs. But if the same files are in the target folder, the programs works fine. So I moved the folder somewhere else.

So - somehow - Paint.Net is trying to access playlists in subfolders and stops for some reason: Can anyone explain?

Reagrds

Paint.NET's save/load dialog is trying to access information about all the files in the target folder so it can create thumbnails. It's trying to access the online playlists, not distinguishing that they are not images (PdN is using the default Windows save/load dialog, so it doesn't distinguish filetypes) so that it can get a thumbnail for your save/load dialog. So, nothing devious. Natural behavior. :-)

Similar things happen under certain video codecs that PdN tries to access information on. That's why I asked the video question.

Move them to another folder, and you should be fine.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

... (PdN is using the .NET save/load dialog, so it doesn't distinguish filetypes) ...

.NET doesn't have a save/load dialog. It's part of the Windows shell. This is normal behavior for any and all applications.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

My mistake, fixed. :-) Everything else on point?