Paint.Net not "drawing" on External Monitor.

I have had problems with Paint.net and Notepad++ on my second monitor.

Everything works if I view the application on my Laptop's primary monitor.

If I drag the application to my second monitor, the screen does not render updates to the program (If I draw a line nothing happens on the screen, but if I drag it back to my laptop screen, the line is there).

I have already tried uninstalling the video drivers, and re-installing 1) Windows version, 2) Lenovo's version, and 3) Intel and NVIDIA versions... no success.

Not all programs act like this on my second monitor, so I think it is a video driver or a Windows setting. If it is a driver, probably the NVIDIA driver as my second screen does not work without it installed. I have also run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and SFC /scannow and no issues were found.

I am using Windows 11 on Lenovo Thinkpad P16 Gen2.

The problem happens on multiple HDMI cables and monitors.

I wanted to check if the community had any ideas before I resorted to re-imaging the laptop.

Maybe it is some common .NET, Visual Basic, etc dependency I am not aware of? Does anyone know what these dependencies might be (so I can try uninstalling and reinstalling)?

The fact that this problem happens also for Notepad++ (and maybe other apps) indicates that it is not a paint.net specific problem.

Unfortunately, this is not a general Windows Troubleshooting forum, so there's not much we can help you with, other than to say:

A quick Google of application will not refresh on second monitor  produces plenty of results.

One example is https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/12rbpim/dual_monitor_issue_with_second_screen_not_updating/

Asking Google / Bing / DuckDuckGo is probably your best bet for solving this problem.

6 hours ago, Platypus1478 said:

Does anyone know what these dependencies might be (so I can try uninstalling and reinstalling)?

Paint.NET doesn't have any dependencies other than Windows itself. It already bundles .NET and anything else it needs as a "local" dependency (in the app directory). Uninstalling or reinstalling anything else won't ever have any effect at all. Other than maybe the GPU driver, which Paint.NET will depend on indirectly via DirectX and DWM.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg