Flipping... something....

Go to solution Solved by Lemonade,

I've searched, but maybe I can't find the answer because I don't know the right term?  There are objects and images and... I don't know.

What I trying to do is cut and paste part of a picture and then flip the piece I just pasted (and is still selected).  Every time I try to flip something it flips the entire original image, or I have to put it on its own layer and flip the whole layer and then cut and past again so I can re-position.

Is there a way to flip just the piece I just pasted/have selected???  It seems like it should be a basic function, but darned if I can figure it out.

Edited by Amita4ever

5 hours ago, Lemonade said:

Hold Shift while moving to keep proportions of the element.

THAT is the part I needed to know!!!  I had flipped by dragging before but I didn't know how to keep the proportions. 

I knew there had to be a way to do it, and knew it had to be simple, but just couldn't figure it out.  Thank you SOOOOOO much!

1 hour ago, Amita4ever said:

THAT is the part I needed to know!!!  I had flipped by dragging before but I didn't know how to keep the proportions. 

I knew there had to be a way to do it, and knew it had to be simple, but just couldn't figure it out.

@Amita4ever It's worthwhile taking some time to work through the comprehensive and well written Documentation. Click the Help :Help: icon top right in paint.net (or just press the F1 key). Try out the examples as you read.

You'd have discovered the use of Shift here
https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/RectangleSelectionTool.html and here https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MoveTools.html

There's lots more to discover.