Rotate Zoom X Y Pan

3 hours ago, Decker said:

In Layer Rotate Zoom the X Y pan is 2 decimal places in Paint 4.0 and later.

That is not correct.

If you type, for example, an X or Y pan of 0.001 (i.e 3 decimal places), then that value is displayed in the field and the image is panned by the expected amount.

The resolution of the step up/down arrows is 2 decimal places. You can make coarse adjustments using the arrows and then fine adjust by typing the 3rd decimal digit and tabbing out of the field.

But, there does seem to be a small bug.

Reproduction steps:

1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Z to display the Rotate/Zoom dialog.

2. Click in the Pan X field and type 1 after the displayed 0.00 so that the field contains 0.001

3. Press Tab to change focus and note that:

a) The pan of 0.001 is correctly actioned on the canvas (can be seen most easily if View | Pixel grid is enabled).

b) The field reverts to display 0.00

4. Click in the Pan X field again and type 1 after the displayed 0.00 so that the field contains 0.001

5. Press Tab to change focus and note that:

a) The pan of 0.001 remains correctly actioned on the canvas.

b) The field now displays 0.001

Expected behaviour

At 3 b) the field should display 0.001 and not revert to 0.00

5 hours ago, CircleBox said:

I only did a small test myself earlier, and '3.156' and '3.16' seemed to produce the same rotation. i think it's rounding? 

I don't agree. You are are not looking close enough.

Create a large enough canvas (say 5000 x 5000).
Draw a 2 pixel wide line exactly from one corner to the diagonally opposite corner.
Zoom in on one corner and have View | Pixel grid enabled.

Type a rotation of 0.156 and tab out of the field. Note the position and appearance of the diagonal line.

Now type a rotation of 0.16 and tab out. Note the position and appearance of the diagonal line has changed.

This is all as expected. The entered 3 decimal places rotation (or pan) value is actioned correctly and is not being rounded.

The issue, as I reported above, is that when you first type in a value with 3 decimal places and tab out of the field, the displayed field value changes to 2 decimal places but if you click in the field and retype the 3 decimal place value, then tab out again, the displayed field value shows 3 decimals.

There is a different behavior if you are using Tab to switch fields or Click to type value then click on another field to confirm previous typed value.
With Tab it is as you posted (great find there) @Tactilis but if click and type value is used, then it is rounding.

Type 0.001 (for rotation or pan) and click on another field, nothing happens. The change is happening at 0.005, where it is rounded to 0.01.

Edited by Lemonade
  • You're a Smart Cookie! 1

5 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

There is a different behavior if you are using Tab to switch fields or Click to type value then click on another field to confirm previous typed value.
With Tab it is as you posted (great find there) @Tactilis but if click and type value is used, then it is rounding.

Tested.
You are correct!

Thanks for noting the discrepancy in the decimal field's behaviour when focus changes due to Tab or clicking out of field.

On 5/9/2023 at 3:03 PM, Tactilis said:

The resolution of the step up/down arrows is 2 decimal places. You can make coarse adjustments using the arrows and then fine adjust by typing the 3rd decimal digit and tabbing out of the field.

I really hate controls where the up-down arrows don't change the least-significant digit. It makes no sense to me. My usual use of the arrows is to finesse the control's value to get what I'm after. That's very inconvenient to do by typing in numbers.

• 1 month later...