Clean up "dirty" photo

TerryG

You may want to try  the kill Color Keeper 

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/112400-kill-color-keeper-v-12/   

it may give you some better control over the smudges . I am sure others will have more ideas as well,  so keep watching.  Good Luck on your project.

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 1/11/2023 at 9:31 AM, TerryG said:

Can I reduce the amount of specks and dirt (dirty paper, old) on this image?  Make it easier to read and print without wasting a lot of ink.

I changed to image to blck and white, but still have the original color photo.

Thanks, everyone.

Resized for upload Cropped Screenshot 2023-01-11 110145.png

In the case of your document? Easiest and arguably best first step is your bog-standard high contrast. I ran your photo through an upscaler called Waifu2X and used the following presets on the default Brightness + Contrast:

image.thumb.png.b10c1eb525248b911dcc509b426b4081.png

Assuming you have the original photo in better resolution than this outdated AI tool, your mileage may very well vary better than my rough demonstration.

When dealing with these sorts of documents, I've noticed it's a very similar philosophy to physically Xeroxing the papers over and over again. The best part about PDN is that you can in fact use more precise tools like the aforementioned dust removers! :)