Drawing shapes from their center instead of the edge

I'm a PDN user since many years, and one feature I always found missing is the ability to draw shapes starting from the center of their bounding box. It would be very useful, especially for circles and squares!

I saw there's a post in the Forum that was opened in November 2007 (15 years ago!), asking for the very same feature: several replies were added to it, suggesting i.e. to draw a circle then align it, or make a gradient with a single colour step, etc. : however no real solution was provided.

Just to recap, what we need to do is NOT drawing random circles (or shapes in general) and resize/realign them, but:

1. Click on a random spot in the picture, which will be the center of the circle/chosen shape
  2. Drag the mouse around: the distance from the clicked spot to the cursor position will be the circle's Radius
  3. Release the mouse button and having a circle/shape plotted with the specified radius.

The 3 steps mentioned above should be made with PDN native interface, without having to install any additional plug-in.

Honestly, I think this feature would be very helpful and improve a lot my (our) favourite Bitmap editor.

Kind regards,

Max

I was planning to add this to 5.0 but didn't end up having the time. I'm expecting to add it in a 5.0.x update, hopefully in 5.0.1 or 5.0.2. So, first few months of 2023 is most likely. @Ego Eram Reputo was lobbying for this too :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

4 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

I was planning to add this to 5.0 but didn't end up having the time. I'm expecting to add it in a 5.0.x update, hopefully in 5.0.1 or 5.0.2. So, first few months of 2023 is most likely. @Ego Eram Reputo was lobbying for this too :)

That would be a great improvement!

Thank you so much for your work, hope you can finish it soon.

Best things,

Max