Two Requests - Selection Feathering and Layer Masks

I figure lots of folks have requested these before but I'd throw my 2 cents in (since Rick is keeping track of the most-requested features).

When I'm editing photos with the gimp, I use selection feathering all the time, mostly to cut out backgrounds nicer and make vignette-type looks. I'd LOVE it if paint.net had this feature...

Another thing that might be nice is layer masks - I find myself making lots of copies of layers so I don't lose information while I'm erasing pieces. Of course editing a layer mask is non-destructive and would also be GREAT!

Hey - thanks a lot for paint.net - I use it constantly and, despite my requests/complaints, I prefer paint.net to anything else out there...

Rob

with the gimp, I use selection feathering all the time, mostly to cut out backgrounds nicer and make vignette-type looks. I'd LOVE it if paint.net had this feature...
Without completely debunking Simon's above reply, do you mean something along the lines of this: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26659? If so, then you won't see soft selections in Paint.NET just yet, that's where Simon's response is still valid.

-----

Another thing that might be nice is layer masks - I find myself making lots of copies of layers so I don't lose information while I'm erasing pieces.
Native layer masks are something to come during the v4.xx series:
The Roadmap[/url]":2t83965q]Paint.NET v4.0

[...]

Features planned for version 4.0 include an improved install and update experience' date=' lower memory requirements, increased performance, a totally revamped "brush" system, [u']layer masks[/u], and adjustment layers. [Emphasis added.]

In the meantime, there is always the Alpha Mask plugin (plugin | tutorial) for your delight.