Old clipboard vector rasterizer?

In older versions of Paint.NET (Don't remember which one, but probably before v4) I would find out that by copying vector (SVG?) information from a program such as Inkscape (not sure about others like Adobe Illustrator though) and pasting into Paint.NET would result in a rasterization of the graphic with no anti-aliasing. That turned out to be quite useful for pixel art, as it rasterized the lines in an almost pixel perfect way. 

Even MS Paint has a similar feature (Even old XP Paint), but not nearly as "finished" as Paint.NET has, definitely rougher.

Nowadays when pasting vector content into Paint.NET, it has anti-aliasing now. While I get why that was done, I think there should be an option for that...

If there is one then I'm missing it.

For reference:

kRQlgoX.png

Hi @Lu9,

I' pretty sure that paint.net never rasterized svg from the clipboard.

Typically the copy application puts different variants of the same object on the clipboard and the paste application selects the one variant which suites best.

So maybe inkscape now puts an aliased variant to the clipboard (means one with an alpha channel).

You may paste to a new layer and remove all pixels with an alpha value smaller than 255.

midoras signature.gif

It doesn't seem to paste the alpha, though, it puts it in a white background, much like MS Paint does. But the weird way that it is pasted on MS Paint (which also ignores clipping masks, while on Paint.NET it works as expected) compared to Paint.NET makes it seem like there are things in those programs that handle that.

I copied a circle from inkscape and got the following variants on the clipboard

grafik.png.056dedf7bd36344d60d161c29ef6b4ed.png

The PNG has alpha and pasting it as a new image into paint.net shows the alpha around the circle.

So you could try to paste as a new layer and remove pixels with alpha < 255.

midoras signature.gif

Okay, I have tested that on an older version of Inkscape which wouldn't copy the alpha - newer versions (like 1.0+) can't be pasted on MS Paint anymore, but on Paint.NET it works, and I could remove all pixels with transparency but... there were too many, and too much anti-aliasing on a stroke with 1px width. I ended up with only  14 pixels selected, literally.

It just isn't the same... I'll keep trying other stuff though.