4.2.12 Paint.net won't save

Since I updated windows 10 on 8/1/2020, paint.net won't save.  It does all the rest of the things just fine.  When it goes to save, it freezes the program.  I have to close the program even after waiting an extended time for the program to respond.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled and even to a new directory.  I have cleaned the registery before reinstalling.  Nothing works.  All my other programs will save just fine.  I even downloaded a new graphics program and it saves just fine.  Just paint.net does not save and freezes. 

I am running the latest version of Windows 10, have 16 g of ram, lots of hard drive, and my computer works fine otherwise.  4.2.12 Paint.net won't save.

OK, I'm running Windows 10 version 2004...

I'm able to save from Paint.NET v4.2.13 just fine.

I'm wondering if there's something strange about the directory you're saving to... for example, is the path on a network drive? Is the folder "cloud" backed up?  Is it a "one drive" folder? Do you have "file versioning" enabled?

Have you tried saving a graphic file to your desktop?

• Like 1

Works fine now......

I wiped everything out, ran CCleaner, checked registries for paint.net and eliminated all such, deleted paint.net, downloaded paint.net 4.12 to a new directory, installed paint.net to a new directory, and saved to desktop and it works fine now with save.  Don't know why, but am glad it is now working for whatever reason.  By the way, Paint.net is not replaceable by other graphics packages.  Believe me, I tried.  There are very expensive complicated ones, but not as easy and usable as Paint.net. 

I also saved the same file to drive d and to c drive documents and all works now for some reason.  I do not do "one drive" or "cloud" as I find them irritating so I don't know about saving there.

Thank you for your attempted help.  I am glad I decided to try one more time to install and use Paint.net as now it works.

• Like 1