Access was denied to the requested file (unauthorized access) for HEIC files

When attempting to open an HEIC file, I get a popup with "! Acess was denied to the requested file (unauthorized access).  The file resides on my OneDrive, but is local in the OneDrive folder.  Paint.net version 4.2.10.

Details:

Application version: paint.net 4.2.10

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: D:\src\pdn\src\SystemLayer.Native\Imaging\WICBitmapSource.cpp (170) : hr = m_pBitmapSource->CopyPixels( pSrcRectWic, static_cast<UINT>(stride), bufferSize, reinterpret_cast<BYTE*>(buffer.ToPointer()));
   at PaintDotNet.Interop.InteropErrorInfo.ThrowIfError() in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Interop\InteropErrorInfo.cs:line 98
   at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.x64.NativeUtilities.ThrowOnErrorImpl(Int32 hr, SByte* szHr, IUnknown* pFxErrorInfo)
   at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.x64.Imaging.WICBitmapSource.CopyPixels(Nullable`1 srcRect, Int32 stride, UInt32 bufferSize, IntPtr buffer)
   at PaintDotNet.Imaging.Proxies.BitmapSourceProxy.CopyPixels(Nullable`1 srcRect, Int32 bufferStride, UInt32 bufferSize, IntPtr buffer) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Imaging\Generated\IBitmapSource.Generated.cs:line 79
   at PaintDotNet.Data.WicFileTypeHelpers.Load(Stream input, Nullable`1 forcedContainerFormat, Nullable`1 preferredVendor, MetadataTranscoder metadataTranscoder) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\WicFileTypeHelpers.cs:line 134
   at PaintDotNet.Data.HeifFileType.OnLoad(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\HeifFileType.cs:line 104
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 522
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem. Originally the file was in my OneDrive, local on the computer, same as @Mooring10. I copied to my desktop and am getting the same error message. I have both the HEIF Image Extension and HEVC Video Extension installed on my machine from the Windows store. Should I try anything else to get this to work?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 8:08 AM, jrkmtf said:

I'm having the same problem. Originally the file was in my OneDrive, local on the computer, same as @Mooring10. I copied to my desktop and am getting the same error message. I have both the HEIF Image Extension and HEVC Video Extension installed on my machine from the Windows store. Should I try anything else to get this to work?

Same issue.  Heic file on Onedrive folder but stored on local drive repros the error.  Any Heic file outside of Onedrive folders on local drive, same error.  JPG or other formats work fine in any location. 

Application version: paint.net 4.2.11 (β 4.211.7433.39692)

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: D:\src\pdn\src\SystemLayer.Native\Imaging\WICBitmapSource.cpp (170) : hr = m_pBitmapSource->CopyPixels( pSrcRectWic, static_cast<UINT>(stride), bufferSize, reinterpret_cast<BYTE*>(buffer.ToPointer()));
   at PaintDotNet.Interop.InteropErrorInfo.ThrowIfError() in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Interop\InteropErrorInfo.cs:line 98
   at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.x64.NativeUtilities.ThrowOnErrorImpl(Int32 hr, SByte* szHr, IUnknown* pFxErrorInfo)
   at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.x64.Imaging.WICBitmapSource.CopyPixels(Nullable`1 srcRect, Int32 stride, UInt32 bufferSize, IntPtr buffer)
   at PaintDotNet.Imaging.Proxies.BitmapSourceProxy.CopyPixels(Nullable`1 srcRect, Int32 bufferStride, UInt32 bufferSize, IntPtr buffer) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Imaging\Generated\IBitmapSource.Generated.cs:line 79
   at PaintDotNet.Data.WicFileTypeHelpers.Load(Stream input, Nullable`1 forcedContainerFormat, Nullable`1 preferredVendor, IMetadataTranscoder metadataTranscoder) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\WicFileTypeHelpers.cs:line 139
   at PaintDotNet.Data.HeifFileType.OnLoad(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\HeifFileType.cs:line 104
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 527
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

3 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Can you go into the file's Properties, and make sure the file permissions are normal?

On Security tab of the file properties, I compared the permissions of Heic files in that folder with JPG files in that same folder.  All files had the exact same perms set for:  Authenticated Users, Admins, and Users.  But the JPG files open fine, while HEIC throw the exception.

I just tried another test:  opened a regular TIF file in Paint.NET, then tried "Save As" to my desktop.  Save As JPG works.  Save As HEIC generates a similar exception:

Application version: paint.net 4.2.11 (β 4.211.7433.39692)

System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> PaintDotNet.Data.WicEncodeException: location = FrameCommit ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: D:\src\pdn\src\SystemLayer.Native\Imaging\WICBitmapFrameEncode.cpp (273) : hr = m_pBitmapFrameEncode->Commit();
   at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.x64.Imaging.WICBitmapFrameEncode.Commit()
   at PaintDotNet.Data.WicEncoder.Try(WicEncodeLocation location, Action action) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\WicEncoder.cs:line 283
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at PaintDotNet.Data.WicEncoder.Try(WicEncodeLocation location, Action action) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\WicEncoder.cs:line 287
   at PaintDotNet.Data.WicEncoder.Encode(IBitmapSource source, Vector2Double dpi, IReadOnlyList`1 exifPropertyItems, XmpPacket xmpPacket, Stream output, ContainerFormat containerFormat, Nullable`1 preferredVendor, IEnumerable`1 encoderOptions, IMetadataTranscoder metadataTranscoder, WriteSourceMode writeSourceMode, ProgressEventHandler progressCallback, Object progressCallbackSender, Double progressPercentStart) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\WicEncoder.cs:line 267
   at PaintDotNet.Data.WicEncoder.Encode(WicEncodeParameters parameters) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\WicEncoder.cs:line 137
   at PaintDotNet.Data.WicEncoder.Encode() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\WicEncoder.cs:line 57
   at PaintDotNet.Data.WicEncoder.AddExceptionAndThrowAll(Exception ex) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\WicEncoder.cs:line 101
   at PaintDotNet.Data.WicEncoder.Encode() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\WicEncoder.cs:line 83
   at PaintDotNet.Data.WicFileTypeHelpers.Save(Document document, Surface flattenedSurface, Stream output, ContainerFormat containerFormat, Nullable`1 preferredVendor, IMetadataTranscoder metadataTranscoder, IEnumerable`1 encoderOptions, SavableBitDepths bitDepth, Int32 ditherLevelForIndexed, ProgressEventHandler progressCallback, Object progressCallbackSender) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\WicFileTypeHelpers.cs:line 355
   at PaintDotNet.Data.HeifFileType.OnSaveT(Document input, Stream output, PropertyBasedSaveConfigToken token, Surface scratchSurface, ProgressEventHandler progressCallback) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\HeifFileType.cs:line 144
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Save(Document input, Stream output, SaveConfigToken token, Surface scratchSurface, ProgressEventHandler callback, Boolean rememberToken) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 292
   at PaintDotNet.Dialogs.SaveConfigDialog.<>c__DisplayClass49_0.<UpdatePreviewAsync>b__0() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Dialogs\SaveConfigDialog.cs:line 614
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at PaintDotNet.Dialogs.SaveConfigDialog.<UpdatePreviewAsync>d__49.MoveNext() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Dialogs\SaveConfigDialog.cs:line 633
---> (Inner Exception #0) PaintDotNet.Data.WicEncodeException: location = FrameCommit ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: D:\src\pdn\src\SystemLayer.Native\Imaging\WICBitmapFrameEncode.cpp (273) : hr = m_pBitmapFrameEncode->Commit();
   at PaintDotNet.Data.WicEncoder.Try(WicEncodeLocation location, Action action) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\WicEncoder.cs:line 283
   at PaintDotNet.Data.WicEncoder.Try(WicEncodeLocation location, Action action) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\WicEncoder.cs:line 287
   at PaintDotNet.Data.WicEncoder.Encode(IBitmapSource source, Vector2Double dpi, IReadOnlyList`1 exifPropertyItems, XmpPacket xmpPacket, Stream output, ContainerFormat containerFormat, Nullable`1 preferredVendor, IEnumerable`1 encoderOptions, IMetadataTranscoder metadataTranscoder, WriteSourceMode writeSourceMode, ProgressEventHandler progressCallback, Object progressCallbackSender, Double progressPercentStart) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\WicEncoder.cs:line 267
   at PaintDotNet.Data.WicEncoder.Encode(WicEncodeParameters parameters) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\WicEncoder.cs:line 137
   at PaintDotNet.Data.WicEncoder.Encode() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\WicEncoder.cs:line 57<---

---> (Inner Exception #1) PaintDotNet.Data.WicEncodeException: location = UnhandledEncodeError ---> PaintDotNet.Data.WicEncodeException: location = FrameCommit ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: D:\src\pdn\src\SystemLayer.Native\Imaging\WICBitmapFrameEncode.cpp (273) : hr = m_pBitmapFrameEncode->Commit();
   at PaintDotNet.Data.WicEncoder.Encode() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\WicEncoder.cs:line 57
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---<---