Does the resolution of a graphic change?

I hope someone can help me.  I joined a website that would allow me to print out designs.  But the resolution is not what the site wants. The resolution needs to be 300 to print out right.  I created the designs and saved them in Microsoft paint.  Then I uploaded them in Paint.net.  I made the resolution 300 and saved them.      I went to change one graphic.  I used Microsoft Paint because I don't know much about how Paint.net works.  I was going to make the change and then upload in Paint.net to check that the resolution was still 300, but when I went to Microsoft Paint, all the graphics of the website I was on flashed up for some reason.  I did not upload all of those graphics in Microsoft Paint again.  They simply flashed on the screen, as the window was open.  I went back to the site and save a few and uploaded them into Paint.net to see if Microsoft Paint had changed them, and the resolutions came out to 96.  but I don' think Microsoft Paint change them, because I did not upload them.  They merely flashed.  I believe that when I changed the resolution in Paint.net to 300, it did not last.  Or maybe uploading them again in Paint changed them back to 96.  Can someone help me figure this out?  Is the change in resolution only temporary, or does uploading them into Paint.net changer the resolution?  Sometimes I reupload them and they have remained 300, but not today.  Thanks. 

It is possible to have an image show different DPI's when viewed from different softwares; even though the image has not changed. The best way to view the image properties is to use Properties option in Windows. This reveals the Exif data saved with your images.

Most of the images that I create with Paint.NET start as a 5000 x 5000 pixel canvas @ 96 DPI.
At those image settings my image should print nicely as a 52 x 52 inch poster. It would also look amazing as a 10 x 10 inch print.

Many users get resolution and DPI confused and should read or watch videos on the subject. There is a good article in the Paint.NET forum on this subject. I find that every few months I have to refer forum members to the link:

Edited by HyReZ
  • Like 1