[Feature Request] Use Microsoft Store Codecs to open special image formats

Would be cool if both the exe installer version and the Microsoft Store version of Paint.NET could use the codecs available in the Microsoft Store to open special image file types. 

This will mostly be decoding, AFAIK there is no encoder in these "codecs".

Examples of codecs that would be relevant:

Edited by olavrb

I don't think the video codecs would be relevant for an image editor. The image extensions you have listed would be the ones to use: HEIF, RAW, WebP.

As for plugins already existing, there are already user-made plugins for RAW and WebP that you can use for both classic and Windows Store versions:

Though, I have no idea how easy or possible it would be use those Windows Store items and could still be an option. However, how many image extensions are available in the store? If there are enough it may make sense to try and support them.

3 hours ago, SodiumEnglish said:

I don't think the video codecs would be relevant for an image editor. The image extensions you have listed would be the ones to use: HEIF, RAW, WebP.

As for plugins already existing, there are already user-made plugins for RAW and WebP that you can use for both classic and Windows Store versions:

Though, I have no idea how easy or possible it would be use those Windows Store items and could still be an option. However, how many image extensions are available in the store? If there are enough it may make sense to try and support them.

HEIF image extension uses the HEVC video extension for the actual decoding. I think AV1 video decoder will be used for AVIF aswell. HEIF and AVIF are only containers, HEVC and AV1 are the format/ codec they use (yes, HEIF can take many other formats aswell).

I also know of the user-made ones. But support for using Microsoft Store codecs for special image format decoding would be much easier to implement for users not that tech savvy. Plus "normal" users don't need to export to webp, avif and other fancy formats, they'll just be happy if they can open and edit photos from their phone and internet. I'm realising that I'm generalising much here, but yeah. :)

Edited by olavrb

Not a bad idea, although I'm not sure the Store plugins are necessary. I'm already planning an update with upgraded and expanded file type support, including HEIF and WEBP.

• Like 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 3 months later...