Not enough memory to load image 290MB PSD file

I've used Paint.net for a couple years and it is wonderful.    Once in a while I need to open a PSD file and it has always worked perfectly.  Now I have a larger than  normal psd file 290MB and Paint.net says there is not enough memory to load the image but I have 8GB dram with almost 6GB available.    I am running Windows 10   64bit.  Any help would be appreciated.  See below the details from the error message.  I have tried opening the file while watching the task manager but I don't really see that it is trying to open the file.  

System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.
   at PaintDotNet.Data.PhotoshopFileType.PsdLoad.CheckSufficientMemory(PsdFile psdFile)
   at PhotoshopFile.PsdFile.LoadLayers(PsdBinaryReader reader, Boolean hasHeader)
   at PhotoshopFile.PsdFile.LoadLayerAndMaskInfo(PsdBinaryReader reader)
   at PhotoshopFile.PsdFile.Load(Stream stream, LoadContext loadContext)
   at PaintDotNet.Data.PhotoshopFileType.PsdLoad.Load(Stream input)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

A 290MB compressed file (a PSD contains compressed data) will definitely expand to take up a lot more memory.

The plugin isn't lying to you. It's likely that you don't have enough memory.

Or maybe you're using a 32-bit version of Windows. In that case, you really should migrate to a 64-bit Windows.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Normally the artist sets files at 3300x2500 pixel HxW and 300 pixels per inch.  Normally my vendor uses 100 layers or so.  If I understand the formula correctly. (3300x2500x4)x(100+2)= 3.4GB of Contiguous memory required by the psd plugin.   Sounds like this is beyond the limits of my system.  

Definitely 64 bit operating system.  Just checked again.