Transparent Gradient problem with one transparent colour

Whenever I try to use the transparent gradient tool with the primary colour black (100% opaque) and secondary colour transparent (at any transparency) weird results show up differing from what would happen if there was two completely opaque colours.

Can somebody please explain what is happening? Thank-you. :D

You are correct.

Here is how the transparent gradient works: The drawn gradient starts with the Alpha value of the primary color and ends with the inverse of the Alpha value of the secondary color.

So, if both primary and secondary colors have opacity of 100%, you will get a gradient from 100% to 0%.

If the primary opacity is 100% and the secondary color opacity is 0%, you will get a gradient from 100% to 100%--in other words, no gradient at all.

This is not a bug. It is working as designed.

If you want to work with gradients the way YOU expect, then you might want to try the gradient plugin that Illnab1024 and I wrote. Look around in the plugin forum for it.

Here is how the transparent gradient works: The drawn gradient starts with the Alpha value of the primary color and ends with the inverse of the Alpha value of the secondary color.

OK this makes sense because brand new people might not know how to change the amount of transparency of a colour. Then again they probably wouldn't know how to make a transparent gradient either, but I see the reasoning behind this (inversing the amount of transparency of the second colour).

Thanks for the explanation!