Make reflections for dock icons.

Hello everyone, newbie here. D:

I looked for some tips in this forum for do reflective icons for my dock, but all I could find is this: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2520&hilit=wet+floor

Well, for example, I want to do the reflection for this icon: Firefox_dock_icon_v3.png

And make it like this: FirefoxSZ.png

And all I got is this: Firefox_dock_icon_v3reflect.png

See? I got the icon with estrange things in the side of the icon.

Also, I want to make it with less reflect, more degradated and with shades in the bottom of the icon, like the Black Firefox icon...

Thanks for the help!

Original icon by JyriK

(Sorry if I made any mistake writing the request, I'm not English ^^')

Open your icon in Paint.NET, duplicate the layer, vertically flip the layer and drag it down just below the original layer - you may have to increase the canvas height to have enough space to do this. Then double-click on the new layer and drag the transparency slider until you reach a result you like. I believe BoltBait has also written a plugin to automate this effect.

Welcome to the forums. :)

KaHuc.png

I believe BoltBait has also written a plugin to automate this effect.
Very much so, a plugin which was linked to in Deses' post ;).

Deses, are you selecting the blank area beneath the icon where you want your reflection to be?

In the plugin's topic, take a look at the example given where the reflection is applied to the name 'BoltBait', that's what you should do for this: select where you want your reflection to be, then run the effect and all should be good. Actually, let's show the screenshot here (click to enlarge):

th_Reflect1-full.jpg

Do tell if it works out for you.

I believe BoltBait has also written a plugin to automate this effect.
Very much so, a plugin which was linked to in Deses' post ;).

Deses, are you selecting the blank area beneath the icon where you want your reflection to be?

In the plugin's topic, take a look at the example given where the reflection is applied to the name 'BoltBait', that's what you should do for this: select where you want your reflection to be, then run the effect and all should be good. Actually, let's show the screenshot here (click to enlarge):

th_Reflect1-full.jpg

Do tell if it works out for you.

Oh, that was it! I left the step where I had to select the blank area beneath the icon... OK, now I have a much wonderful icon. :D

Firefox_dock_icon_v3.png

Thank you very much.

Oh, one last thing. How can I add a little shade between the icon and the reflection?

P.D.: Original icon by JyriK