Can I resize/distort a selected part of an image?

I paid for Serif PhotoPlus for precisely this kind of problem and it does not seem to offer the function.  

And I need this today!!!

So I am turning, as ever, to Photo Net to resolve what should have been a simple problem..
But I only have (can only afford) the Photo Net free Version 3.3x, 3.5.

I have a photo, say 2000 x 1500 px. 
But it is distorted.  It looks like the two people in it have 25-inch legs.

So I need to select the bottom half (rectangle select)

- and "stretch" that selection (not the whole image) from 1000 x 1500 px to 1250 x 1500 px!
The revised image with therefore be 2250 x 1500 px

- but it will no longer be distorted

- and will include all the data in the opriginal photo. 

All Serif PhotoPlus does is:-

- stretches the selected rectangle

- but keeps the same 2000 x 1500 dimensions

- simply by cropping off the bottom 200 or so pixels. 
This is not what I want. 

Can someone please advise me, instead, whether or not

Photo Net Version 3.3x, 3.5

is capable of resizing / changing the dimensions of a selected part of an image, i.e. stretching it along one axis? 

If so, how, please?

It will really get me out of a hole that could never have been envisaged for such a simple, routine photographic requirement. 

I would address Support, but I desperately need an answer, either way, today, Monday. 

Thanks Will Golden

Moved to Paint.NET Discussion & Questions

First off, this is not a Photo Net forum. However, Paint.NET can achieve the effect you're looking for.

Step 1: Download Paint.NET here and install it
Step 2: Open your photo in Paint.NET
Step 3: Go to Image>Canvas size (hotkey ctrl+shift+r) and set the canvas size to 2250 x 1500 px. Make sure you select Anchor: Top
Step 4: Use the rectangle selection to select the area that needs to be stretched.
Step 5: Use the "Move selected pixels" tool (looks like this: :MoveTool: ) to stretch the selection (drag the bottom center nub downwards)

• Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Thanx Noob! 

I have been using Paint.Net for years and couldn't even remember the name lol!

But I had never explored the "canvas" options. I'll bet I am making the same omission in PhotoPlus. 

Yes indeed it works and I am back on schedule, thanx2 U!  ......out of 10? ....11!

I shall have some time tonight and I shall spend it on a sample photo, trying everything I have not thought to use up until now. 

Thanx n hugs
Will Golden

• 2 months later...

Moved to Paint.NET Discussion & Questions

First off, this is not a Photo Net forum. However, Paint.NET can achieve the effect you're looking for.

Step 1: Download Paint.NET here and install it

Step 2: Open your photo in Paint.NET

Step 3: Go to Image>Canvas size (hotkey ctrl+shift+r) and set the canvas size to 2250 x 1500 px. Make sure you select Anchor: Top

Step 4: Use the rectangle selection to select the area that needs to be stretched.

Step 5: Use the "Move selected pixels" tool (looks like this: :MoveTool: ) to stretch the selection (drag the bottom center nub downwards)

@pdnnoob:

The problem with using your method is that it doesn't keep the aspect ratio fixed when re-sized. This is very bad when working with web images and logos, for example.

Do you have a solution that would allow you to fix the aspect-ratio in such a partial image re-size?

If not, would that be something Paint.NET would consider implementing? (When?)

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

I just found the answer here:  Hold down SHIFT while moving the "Move Selected Pixels" knobs! Excellent!

Edited by MutantMule

@MutantMule

If you see the following quote from the original question, the idea was to adjust the aspect ratio in order to distort the original image.

I have a photo, say 2000 x 1500 px.

But it is distorted. It looks like the two people in it have 25-inch legs.

So I need to select the bottom half (rectangle select)

- and "stretch" that selection (not the whole image) from 1000 x 1500 px to 1250 x 1500 px!

The revised image with therefore be 2250 x 1500 px.

- but it will no longer be distorted

- and will include all the data in the opriginal photo.

...but yes, if you ever need to maintain the aspect ratio, your solution will do that

Also, this is an old thread, so in accordance to forum policies, I will have to lock the thread.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

• toe_head2001 changed the title to Can I resize/distort a selected part of an image?