Layering - send to the background

I am having problems with this one. After importing several files, trying to move one that I have already imported 5 steps ago, is almost impossible. I usually just delete the image file I imported & reimport the image files. I know to click on which layer box I want to delete. For some reason, it seems to be very slow at moving the layer I want to move or I pick the wrong one at times. Other times, Paint is still on last layer I imported & won't go to layer I want to move when I click on layer box & appropriate layer.

As I am working with scrapbook files, the layouts are sometimes in .png format. This is so you can import photos into the picture frame within the file or template. I believe I read in another post, Paint may have a problem with .png format. Many icons I import are in .png format as the background of the file is transparent. The picture frame is already in my .png. When importing a photo, I can not find a command to send photo to the back so photo will appear behind picture frame.

Any suggestions anyone? My pc is running fine, it just seems like Paint is running a lot slower than it should.

14076_643355529be6fb309ca79315880deab2

Paint.NET has no function for moving an item to the background automatically. Also, to my knowledge, Paint.NET has no problems with PNG files. They're big, but I don't know of any inherent problems with them.

As for the speed issues, how much RAM and how many layers (at what size) are you working with? There's a sticky'd post in the Troubleshooting forum that may give you some insight into this matter.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

3 layers total. If you look at the file attachment, that is one layer in .png format. The other 2 layers are 2 photos that you insert into the background file. Background file is: 8 megs. Where the picture frames in original file, are transparent.

How much RAM and what pixel size are we dealing with?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

My computer spec's are:

P4

CPU: 3200+

Ram: 1 gig

HDrv space: 500 gigs (I like graphics)

background file: 8 megs size in .png format. 300 DPI...frame size: 2000 x 3000

Photos (2) sizes: < 200k file size each. Low quality. Jpg format. I had to stretch photos to get them inside photo frames. Which is a no no when dealing with digital graphics. In the above file attachment is not the background I chose. See 2nd msg which is actual layout I ended up with. (Photos are from a cell phone. These photos are from a deceased person.)

However I do not believe this has anything to do with it since I must import photo first, guess as to where photos should be place on page, then import background file over photos, in order to make photos show thru the photo frames of the background file. The background file is like a template, you fill in the blanks.

If Paint.Net will not let me import a photo into a template, send photo behind template where the transparancy is, then there is no point in making templates ahead of time &/or using the templates I already have. I will have to import every graphic file one by one &/or be very creative in my technique.

2Kx3K px and 3 layers is fairly large. I'm not surprised it takes a while. That's a LOT of data, especially for 1GB of RAM. Look at the sticky'd post about file size errors in the Troubleshooting forum.