slow opening from file > open and open button on toolbar

jchunn

When I try to open some images (by clicking the "open" icon on the toolbar or using the file-> open menu), I get the file-open dialog, select a file, click the "open" button, and PDN locks up (screen does not respond to mouse, does not repaint) for about 45 seconds or so, then it gives me a message stating that PDN has experienced an error and must close... and I should refer to the pdncrash.log on my desktop.

The application has been working fine and opening images fine for the two weeks or so that I have had it. I have mostly been creating images from scratch, so I can't say exactly what percentage of open attempts result in this issue. I have opened several images successfully, for sure, so it does not always do this.

I am attaching an image that it has happened on several times. I tried to attach the log file, but for some reason, the forum wouldn't let me, so I am pasting it below. I DID reboot and try to open the attached file immediately afterwards, and still had the problem, so I don't think it is a corrupt memory issue (suggested in the log), since I didn't do anything to corrupt any memory (unless it is PDN that is corrupting the memory when trying to open this file?).

This text file was created because Paint.NET crashed.

Please e-mail this file to paint.net@hotmail.com so we can diagnose and fix the problem.

Application version: Paint.NET v3.22 (Final Release build 3.22.2933.24445)

Time of crash: 1/28/2008 9:48:50 PM

Application uptime: 00:01:44.6562500

OS Version: 5.1.2600.131072 Service Pack 2 Workstation x86

.NET Framework version: 2.0.50727.1433 x86

Processor: 2x "Genuine Intel® CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz" @ ~1672MHz (SSE, SSE2)

Physical memory: 1014 MB

Tablet PC: no

Updates: true, 1/27/2008

Locale: pdnr.c: en-US, hklm: en-US, hkcu: n/a, cc: en-US, cuic: en-US

Loaded assemblies:

mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 @ C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorlib.dll

PaintDotNet, Version=3.22.2933.24445, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.exe

System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 @ C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll

System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 @ C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll

System.Drawing, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a @ C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll

PaintDotNet.Core, Version=3.22.2933.24442, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Core.dll

PaintDotNet.Base, Version=3.22.2933.24440, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Base.dll

PaintDotNet.SystemLayer, Version=3.22.2933.24441, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.dll

PaintDotNet.Resources, Version=3.22.2933.24441, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Resources.dll

PaintDotNet.Data, Version=3.22.2933.24442, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Data.dll

PaintDotNet.Effects, Version=3.22.2933.24443, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Effects.dll

CodeLab, Version=3.20.2933.30843, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\CodeLab.dll

Feather, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\Feather.dll

stdWoodTexture, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\stdWoodTexture.dll

Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a @ C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualBasic\8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System.Xml, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 @ C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll

DdsFileType, Version=1.11.2933.24444, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes\DdsFileType.dll

Exception details:

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.GetOpenFileName(OPENFILENAME_I ofn)

at System.Windows.Forms.OpenFileDialog.RunFileDialog(OPENFILENAME_I ofn)

at System.Windows.Forms.FileDialog.RunDialogOld(IntPtr hWndOwner)

at System.Windows.Forms.FileDialog.RunDialog(IntPtr hWndOwner)

at System.Windows.Forms.CommonDialog.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.ClassicFileDialog.<>c__DisplayClass3.b__1(IWin32Window modalOwner)

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.UI.<>c__DisplayClass4.b__0(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CallShownEvent()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12758_9be180b6110ade050978d01c1ac148a6

Total hack.

Since it's a different problem (the other was from drag-and-drop) I've split this to its own thread. :-)

Usually, on this forum, we try to keep problems separate, unless they're reproducibly identical. Thanks.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.